Best Dwarf Cichlid with Otos & Corys? Question 

dxs2104

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What would be a good pair of dwarf cichlids to stock with a couple Corys and Otos in a 29 gallon? I think I have it narrowed down to a pair of Apistos, GBRs (although there red eyes are a little creepy), Bolivian Ram, or Kribensis.

I am just trying to scope out right now.

The tank is currently stocked with 6 tiger barbs and 4 zebra danios. The tiger barbs have become more and more aggressive and having them is not that enjoyable because of them killing other fish. I have talked to a LFS and they are willing to take the tiger barbs in if needed.

I had a single Krib and 6 zebra danios in with the tiger barbs at one point but they had killed the krib (within 2 weeks of being added) and 2 danios (this past week after 3 months).

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you'd be fine with any of them. I havent had any issues keeping cories with my rams, the only foreseeable issue is if the pair lay eggs they will get very defensive and attack any rummaging cories. Mine seemed to be smart enough to stay away, though.

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go with the rams, they are more peaceful then kribs.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think GBR are the best looking of the dwarf cichlids (other than maybe electric blue rams)

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most dwarfs will be fine with cory's. When my cockatoos spawned, if the corys got too close, the female cichlid go to attack mode and the corys would freeze and the cichlid would end up having to push them like a lump of dirt (then they would swim off after she stopped)....a very interesting defense

sik80

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TedsTank said:
Most dwarfs will be fine with cory's. When my cockatoos spawned, if the corys got too close, the female cichlid go to attack mode and the corys would freeze and the cichlid would end up having to push them like a lump of dirt (then they would swim off after she stopped)....a very interesting defense
This is fascinating. Usually my cory's will scamper off if there is movement in the room close to the tank, but sometimes if they are out in the open and sudden movement occurs they will sit there and not move at all. I hadn't connected it with defense, but it makes sense.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom