Best Dividers

Sauceboat

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve been planning to actually put some effort in to my divided 10 gallon betta tank and try aquascaping. I have some plants growing well in there and I have decided it’s time to execute a more planned layout. Anyway, I want to make my tank look as great as possible so I’ve been trying to remove those eyesore features before attempting to scape. The first of which was the rim but after asking around it seems too risky and unpractical for me.

Now I’m onto my divider. As it stands I have this dreadful piece of plastic canvas hanging from the rim of my aquarium. It’s constantly slouching and is an algae magnet. I’ve decided it’s time to upgrade.

I want something rigid that doesn’t bend over as that really bothers me with my current one, it’s constantly bowed over and while functional, looks awful. I really like the look of those acrylic dividers but all their reviews seem awful and they seem to cost $20 each for a 10 gallon divider. I also like the concept of a clear divider as my bettas don’t seem stressed by the sight of each other (my current divider is clear) as they never flare or pace or show any interest in their neighbor. But what it ultimately comes down to is that it won’t turn green. The plasic canvas seems to absorb the color of the algae and no matter how much I scrub it, it still looks dirty. I’d really like a divider that looks as least as clean as the glass.

My question is: is there an economical divider that is both rigid and algae proof out there? Or is this unrealistic

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
My personal option is the best one on the market are the dividers from life with pets. They arnt super cheap though but it’s really the best option for an opaque divider that won’t grow algae. Make sure to have filtration on either side tho.

if you want economical I can explain how I made my opaque dividers but whey will grow algae.

A4C9F6F3-6E61-4DA5-8E40-1D189229BC21.jpeg

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
You could also make what I did in black and it wouldn’t be as noticeable. I just chose white cuz I couldn’t find the mesh big enough in black (it’s a 20g)

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What if you went a d.i.y route?
I actually pondered a way for you too make a more natural look if you would like to try it.
Home depot sells something called light diffuser.
It's a sheet of plastic grid, comes in about a 4' by 6' piece.
Cut it to fit the tank and you can cut it so you have a lip on either end that will sit at the top of the tank you could silicone it as wel at the top.
Then you can buy a bunch of java fern or anubis and lace it through all the holes in the light diffuser.
It would seperate the betta, look very pretty with plants dividing the tank and water movement would still occur and you would not need seperate filters or pumps over the split.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Wrench said:
What if you went a d.i.y route?
I actually pondered a way for you too make a more natural look if you would like to try it.
Home depot sells something called light diffuser.
It's a sheet of plastic grid, comes in about a 4' by 6' piece.
Cut it to fit the tank and you can cut it so you have a lip on either end that will sit at the top of the tank you could silicone it as wel at the top.
Then you can buy a bunch of java fern or anubis and lace it through all the holes in the light diffuser.
It would seperate the betta, look very pretty with plants dividing the tank and water movement would still occur and you would not need seperate filters or pumps over the split.
I think I see what your taking about. I do like that idea, however it is not opaque which is a must for a divider in my opinion. Plants do help but it would cost even more to fill it with plants then to just purchase a divider. The other issue I see is I have no idea how big those holes are in between. They might be too large for betta but I can’t tell. You could use that and place some black filter sheets in between. That’s what I did with mine and it makes it opaque.

I would also always always always advice filtration in each section no matter how much water flow there seems to be between sections. It’s the best way to ensure the health of the fish. It’s super cheap to set up two small sponge filters on $10 air pump. I did a 3 part filter for my tank for under $25

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I’ll take a look at that life with pets one, I really don’t want algae. The light diffuser is a pretty good idea and i have loads of spare plants but I’m nervous about the holes being too large. While my bettas (a male and a female) don’t seem to mind the view of each other, if one crosses into the other’s territory they’ll try to tear each other up.

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My stepdad helped me make a DIY divider in the past. It worked well.

We used acrylic. Measured the tank and laser cut the acrylic the same length and height, with probably 1/8in thickness. We cut holes in the divider as well.

Since most people can’t just run on down to the store and get a laser cutter, I know this may not help much, but you could probably get it cut somewhere for you.

Edit: forgot to add. To hold the divider up, we used suction cups so it wouldn’t fall over.

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
erinw347 said:
My stepdad helped me make a DIY divider in the past. It worked well.

We used acrylic. Measured the tank and laser cut the acrylic the same length and height, with probably 1/8in thickness. We cut holes in the divider as well.

Since most people can’t just run on down to the store and get a laser cutter, I know this may not help much, but you could probably get it cut somewhere for you.

Edit: forgot to add. To hold the divider up, we used suction cups so it wouldn’t fall over.
I’ve been considering this way specifically, actually, online there were some videos on how to cut acrylic with specialized drill bits that I think I could get my hands on. It’s helpful to know it worked for you though! Thank you for sharing!

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sauceboat said:
Thanks for the replies! I’ll take a look at that life with pets one, I really don’t want algae. The light diffuser is a pretty good idea and i have loads of spare plants but I’m nervous about the holes being too large. While my bettas (a male and a female) don’t seem to mind the view of each other, if one crosses into the other’s territory they’ll try to tear each other up.
The holes in the diffuser are roughly 1/4 in.
20200514_185209.jpg
in area.
No way a betta would fit through it at all :)

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sauceboat said:
I’ve been considering this way specifically, actually, online there were some videos on how to cut acrylic with specialized drill bits that I think I could get my hands on. It’s helpful to know it worked for you though! Thank you for sharing!
Carbide bits are very expensive

OP
Sauceboat

Sauceboat

Reaction score
Wrench said:
Carbide bits are very expensive
Yeah they are, but my dad had some that I could have used. I just ended up buying a divider on amazon. It seemed that between the supplies for a DIY divider and the time it would take to make it, I would just be better off buying one online.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sauceboat said:
Yeah they are, but my dad had some that I could have used. I just ended up buying a divider on amazon. It seemed that between the supplies for a DIY divider and the time it would take to make it, I would just be better off buying one online.
I totally get it, it takes some time haha.
I habe a bit of time invested in my d.i.y tank

New Threads