Best Disease Prevention Techniques

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FireflySky, Aug 6, 2017.

1. FireflySky

FireflySkyValued MemberMember

Getting ready to finally pick up some fish, just waiting on the next shipment at LFS, and making sure I'll have what I need. One thing I don't have is any kind of medications or quarantine, but the tank is empty so not super concerned about that.

I'm curious to know what some of you do for preventative measures. I know fresh water is the best remedy, but are their any techniques you use to ensure health of your fish, or must have first aid meds to have on hand?

In the past I didn't do much other than try to pick the healthiest fish I could, and I'd have aquarium salt on hand that I never used. Mostly I think I was lucky, and any deaths I had were directly my fault for overstocking/ not being cycled. I kept the basic "beginner" fish, but this time around I'm going to try my hand at cichlids, which is a whole different ball game for me. I'm wondering if I should have anything on hand if any rough housing occurs.

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I've had bad luck with quarantine a few times. I quit not too long ago. Since quitting quarantine, I've had success with Kordon Fish Prep Preventative Fish Bath. My must for medication would be Kordon Rapid-Cure. While the Rapid-Cure isn't invert same, Kordon makes alternative products that are just as good. I'll post pictures of both.

image.jpgimage.jpg

3. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Is the preventative bath pretty much blue methylene? Also, where do you get it, and for what price? Think Amazon would have it?

4. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Amazon might have it. I got mine from Petco. I'm not really sure about price though. I have to say at first I was sceptical about the ingredients, but I've lost fish questionably without it being spread at all. All my Gold Rams did die, but they were from the same store, and I suspect the same batch.
    image.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice