Best Dirt To Use When Dirting A Tank?

Tinytail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello again! Hope things are going well. You already heard my prep so I won’t rehash that. I didn’t have algae but I have a ton of species ready to eat it so it might just be that they kept it in check. In fact I have direct sunlight on my tank because it’s in front of a window lol. Now that I think about it, the aquaclear HOBs have grown a good layer of algae in the box so it must be the fish and snails eating it inside the tank. Mine cycled in a week after mild ammonia levels but I used two well established filters and one new one. Lots used driftwood too so plenty of bene bacteria. Any way you can get good bacteria in your new setup will be helpful

DoubleD80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello again! Hope things are going well. You already heard my prep so I won’t rehash that. I didn’t have algae but I have a ton of species ready to eat it so it might just be that they kept it in check. In fact I have direct sunlight on my tank because it’s in front of a window lol. Now that I think about it, the aquaclear HOBs have grown a good layer of algae in the box so it must be the fish and snails eating it inside the tank. Mine cycled in a week after mild ammonia levels but I used two well established filters and one new one. Lots used driftwood too so plenty of bene bacteria. Any way you can get good bacteria in your new setup will be helpful
Hi all is well! Just got a new plant and having a hard time keeping it in the gravel haha narrow leaf Ludwigia. I think my bn pleco keeps knocking it out at night! What did you have your tank stocked with? What fish and algae eater? Thanks for the info!

Tinytail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ooh looking good!! I think I have that ludwigia too. Looks pretty similar anyways. It takes a while to root because it’s so happy just being a stem lol. My rabbit snails usually are the uprooting culprits for me but I wouldn’t hesitate to suspect a pleco too hahaha. I have rabbit snails, young bn pleco, kribs, neons, SAE, and platys. Oh and several betta >.> It’s a zoo in my tank..... I don’t recommend it. Ideally I wouldn’t have it that way myself but I was required to consolidate my tanks a few months ago. I tested out compatibility slowly and surprisingly things have been working out. I know some of them should probably be rehomed but I don’t want to just drop them off at a petco :/ There’s a LFS that might take some but I’m still scoping the place out. Last time I was there they had a lot of ich. But anywho, yeah most of them will peck at algae except the bettas. Someone has been pecking at the plants too, but nothing detrimental, only old growth.

DoubleD80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ooh looking good!! I think I have that ludwigia too. Looks pretty similar anyways. It takes a while to root because it’s so happy just being a stem lol. My rabbit snails usually are the uprooting culprits for me but I wouldn’t hesitate to suspect a pleco too hahaha. I have rabbit snails, young bn pleco, kribs, neons, SAE, and platys. Oh and several betta >.> It’s a zoo in my tank..... I don’t recommend it. Ideally I wouldn’t have it that way myself but I was required to consolidate my tanks a few months ago. I tested out compatibility slowly and surprisingly things have been working out. I know some of them should probably be rehomed but I don’t want to just drop them off at a petco :/ There’s a LFS that might take some but I’m still scoping the place out. Last time I was there they had a lot of ich. But anywho, yeah most of them will peck at algae except the bettas. Someone has been pecking at the plants too, but nothing detrimental, only old growth.
Haha yeah well I wish they would root and anchor to the gravel cause since I got them I’ve had to re plant them 3 times! I love the way they look but man they’re a pain in the!! Any idea how long they took to grow roots for you? What type of substrate do you have? I just hope the gravel I have is good enough to grow these cause I love the look! Yeah my bn was tiny when I got it but is full grown now! Kind of a pain in the butt actually always knocking plants around and chasing my dwarf gourami around! Probably won’t get another one next time! Maybe some ottos and cherry shrimp for algae control! Thanks for the info again!

Tinytail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah no problem! I have sand in my tanks. One thing people do is weigh down the stems. I’m not sure if it’s something stores sell or if it’s diy but I’ve seen people with small pieces of slate with a hole in it and you thread the bottom of the stems through and it’ll keep them in place

But yeah BNs can get up to trouble hehe. Idk why I love them so much My longfin albino is starting to grow his bristles! He’s going to be a stunner

DoubleD80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah no problem! I have sand in my tanks. One thing people do is weigh down the stems. I’m not sure if it’s something stores sell or if it’s diy but I’ve seen people with small pieces of slate with a hole in it and you thread the bottom of the stems through and it’ll keep them in place

But yeah BNs can get up to trouble hehe. Idk why I love them so much My longfin albino is starting to grow his bristles! He’s going to be a stunner
Hmm I wonder how they make the hole in the slate? I would think a drill would shatter it! I’m willing to try anything though haha I have a female so the bristles are small which I like actually! That sounds cool though!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 29 with organic soil capped with PFS it was outside all summer and the plants really took off I have since moved it inside and it’s still doing great.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha yeah well I wish they would root and anchor to the gravel cause since I got them I’ve had to re plant them 3 times! I love the way they look but man they’re a pain in the!! Any idea how long they took to grow roots for you? What type of substrate do you have? I just hope the gravel I have is good enough to grow these cause I love the look! Yeah my bn was tiny when I got it but is full grown now! Kind of a pain in the butt actually always knocking plants around and chasing my dwarf gourami around! Probably won’t get another one next time! Maybe some ottos and cherry shrimp for algae control! Thanks for the info again!
Hi! I use large bio rings to anchor my stems. I wrap in floss to cushion and keep it snug. Like this
20190117_130638.jpg

And here's my 5 year old fully dirted 90g (with 3 adult BN plecos!)
20190920_143102.jpg

I'm wanting to convert my 120g to dirted when I see how easy this 90g is, but it would be a big deal to do since the tank is stocked. But it IS tempting!!!

MutualAssuredDestruction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is how I set up my dirt tank.
First I started off by rolling out iron enriched clay in a grid pattern to try and have some coverage.
20191012_140927.jpg

Than I sprinkled ADA Tourmaline BC and a small 2 liter bag of their Power Sand Advanced.
20191012_143144.jpg

Once that was down I layered on the soil I purchased from Dustins fish tanks. Definitely paid a premium for not having to get my hands dirty. He has his own special mix of dirt that has iron clay chunks and nutrients as well.
20191012_143801.jpg

20191012_143817.jpg

After this I added my old gravel which consisted of a mix of my own blended gravel and ADA Aqua Soil Amzonia. And started scapping!
20191012_174757.jpg

20191012_193840.jpg

MutualAssuredDestruction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! I use large bio rings to anchor my stems. I wrap in floss to cushion and keep it snug. Like this
View attachment 629714

View attachment 629717
I'm wanting to convert my 120g to dirted when I see how easy this 90g is, but it would be a big deal to do since the tank is stocked. But it IS tempting!!!
So jealous of your Crenum!

DoubleD80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
View attachment 629714

View attachment 629717
That’s a great idea! I think I’ll try that! They finally rooted but a couple still floated away! Most are in there good now! Your tank looks great! Thanks again for the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom