Best deIcer/heater for pond in winter

Browns1028

Hi
I am a pond and fish newbie ... I inherited in my new home a 500 gallon roughly 6 x 9 x 2 feet small pond.

all quality aquascape products including my new aerators which I bought to make sure my 5 fish are well oxygenated during winter.

I intend to stop feeding them when water gets to be less than 50 degree most likely October . I will not run the pump during winter season.

I need a reasonably priced submersible heater/deIcer that will make sure my fish live .
would like it to be energy efficient and durable that is ; it turns on or off with temperature and doesn’t just run all the time.

I am guessing I need 250-300 watts ?

I looked at the aquascape 300 watt unit for $135 on Amazon but it got mixed reviews.

any tips appreciated
E

Attachments

• 78D09E00-4E61-4C20-9DBA-020E2B08CD0D.jpeg
    78D09E00-4E61-4C20-9DBA-020E2B08CD0D.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 9

MoshJosh

I have used stock tank heaters/deicers for my above ground ponds and they seem to work well.

Last year I used this one to heat my 180ish gallon pond. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/farm-innovators-ice-chaser-multi-use-utility-deicer I put it right above my sponge filter and the pond never froze, could often see steam coming off the water.

Mind you that heater is only rated for like 25 gallons haha not sure longevity or power consumption, but it worked.

Might be worth looking into for you.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/deicers-bucket-warmers

Browns1028

Hi
I am a pond and fish newbie ... I inherited in my new home a 500 gallon roughly 6 x 9 x 2 feet small pond.

all quality aquascape products including my new aerators which I bought to make sure my 5 fish are well oxygenated during winter.

I intend to stop feeding them when water gets to be less than 50 degree most likely October . I will not run the pump during winter season.

I need a reasonably priced submersible heater/deIcer that will make sure my fish live .
would like it to be energy efficient and durable that is ; it turns on or off with temperature and doesn’t just run all the time.

I am guessing I need 250-300 watts ?

I looked at the aquascape 300 watt unit for $135 on Amazon but it got mixed reviews.

any tips appreciated
E
Broke down and bought the 300w aquascape product because it has a 3 year warranty. Also evaluated the Laguna $80 deIcer with equal reviews but it only had a 1 year warranty . Will post if I have bad luck with my selection .

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • LHanna61
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
ALS
Replies
Views