Best Color Gravel?

dahly

Reaction score
I like basic colors. I have black gravel in my Tetra tank, with a small bag of orange gravel my 9 year old wanted and I wish wasn't there. I have "salt and pepper" cichlid sand in my multI tank that I love. And I have regular pea gravel in my 10 gallon, which looks good too.

huneebee

Reaction score
I like more natural colors for larger tanks. I have brownish gravel in my 20 gal, mostly because I didn't want the other colors they had, and it was the only color in that size bag. But, in my betta tank, 2.5 gal, I had the neon gravel and neon plants and decor.

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
my 10 gallon at home's gravel is blue, green, and purple. it all came in a bag, I didnt mix it.
the 30 gallon at the dentist has royal blue with white mixed in.
I like natural gravel best though :-\

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree that natural gravel looks best, I have light brown gravel in my 10 gallon and I think I will put black in my new tank that I will hopefully get soon.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NATURAL-COLORED GRAVEL IS BEST LOOKING TO ME AS WELL. PERIOD. LOL After all, isn't that why we set up a tank - to have a "piece of nature" at our own homes?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tanks have the Red Fluorite in it so I don't really have gravel at all, but it does have a natural look to it. Noel's tank does have a little red gravel mixed in and it gives the Fluorite a rather neat look to it. I will say that the Fluorite does take a lot of washing to make it habitable for the fish and I mean a LOT of washing. (otherwise the water becomes quite muddy)

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chickadee, what's Red Fluorite??

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
My 15 gallon tank has brown/natural colored gravel. I think this looks best.
I've read that if the tank is to colorful or to bright it can stress out the fish. Is this true?

Gwenz

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
If it is like bright neon pink or something like that, yes it can stress out the fish. So if you like garishly bright colors, you should mix it with black or something.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bright colored gravel is stressful. That's like having walls painted bright pink or neon green...yikes! Some fish prefer darker gravel than others...tetras will show off their colors best with black gravel.

dano569

Reaction score
I have dark green in my mbuna,and my tetra tank,and black and white mixed in my south american tank.

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I actually like the natural colors I think it makes the fish more at home

New Threads