Best Clear Waterproof Epoxy For My Situation? Question

1. PAND3MIC Member Member

I have been meaning to finish a tank that I plan on gifting to my significant other, and I wanted to use a Bioshock figure as the centerpiece. It is made of PVC and was painted with an acrylic-based paint. I have read about many people facing similar difficulties, but in slightly different situations. Could someone recommend the best clear coat epoxy or spray to use on this figure to insure that it won't degrade or release any harmful chemicals in the water? I don't want to ruin it by using the wrong sealant but at the same time I don't wan't it to be detrimental to the fish. I heard of people using Krylon Fusion Clear Coat for aquarium use, but I am skeptical because Krylon doesn't recommend using any of their products "below the water line".

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. PAND3MIC Member Member

I'm going to give this a bump

3. PAND3MIC Member Member

I would be absolutely grateful if anyone could tell me about their experience with this, I would like to hear some opinions. I'm sure SOMEONE has put some kind of figure or statue of some sort in their tank. I can't be that creative, lol. I've reached a dead end in my research, I need crystallized knowledge. ANY advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

I know Pond Armor has a Clear 2-part epoxy safe for aquariums (was made for aquariums) and can be applied with a brush. Although, you would be paying a lot for only using a little bit

Or maybe try Smooth Cast 327 urethane resin and don't use the color pigments, just the Part A and B (which should be clear for the most part). Not sure of the price on this one.

Maybe even try superglue, although you'll have to work fast to paint it on and try not to clump it (maybe try it out on a test piece first). Its aquairum safe after you cure it.

5. ChuthuluFish Member Member

wish I could help.(of topic) just wondeiring what fish are going in?

6. PAND3MIC Member Member

Thank you SOOO much, I will have to look around at Lowe's and determine which of those would be best.
    I plan on putting a breeding pair of peacock gudgeons in there and a few shrimp, likely a mix of cherry and velvet.