Best Cleaning Device

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Ziabis, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

What is the best device or item whatever to clean in the inside of the glass on
    a weekly basis?
    Be it cloth or such...What do you use?

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

An algae scraper :) Some people like the magnetic ones - I have used them and prefer the simplicity of the scraper. With sand, you can do a number on the glass with the magnetic ones if you aren't careful.

3. SebastianNew MemberMember

I have always used the magnetic scrubbers, they work great. When you are done, simply slide it to a spot behind some plants on the side of the tank where you can't see it, or take it out of the tank. Just be careful to not get any gravel between the magnets when you are cleaning near the bottom, this can scratch your glass.

4. freak78Well Known MemberMember

I use a piece of paper towel and my hand. Cleans the glass real good. You just have to make sure not to use the cheap stuff so it won't come apart.

5. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

If it's algae, definitely a scraper, you can get right down to the substrate which is hard to do with a pad type cleaner w/o, as Jaysee mentioned, risking some sand or grit getting into it and scatching the aquarium. I normally do a round with a scaper and then go over it again with a pad type cleaner.

Eta: I really like this one, not for acrylic though:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

All I use for now is a cloth, but I cant seem to get the suction cup marks off. LOL

7. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I got this cleaning glove for aquarium use from JBL, it is so handy, one swipe and everything is spotless, can't recommend it enough!

8. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

where is this JBL store?
    do you have an online address. I live in Canada.

9. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I have a special tank scrubber with a long handle and a pad on the end that I purchased at my LFS... it's magnificent and I don't have to get my arm wet :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  10. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

what is the name of it Mrs Price?

11. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

It's made by API, it's an aquarium scrubber, I purchased mine at PetSmart :)

12. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

I use a cleaning sponge with a course side and soft side like this

less than $2 at any dollar store or walmart, best cleaning investment for tanks i have every made.

13. ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

I actually was thinking of that kind of sponge. Does it scratch the glass?

14. DualFishTankNew MemberMember

I use this one too!

15. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

I have not seen any scratches,and i only use the smooth side unless i come across some tough spot.

16. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I use the item in the link above to clean my tank glass.

Ken

17. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

well its a tough one but I like to use a rag like this when cleaning my tank.... :;dete

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  18. JamesCain80Well Known MemberMember

Squigy, works wonders and for the outside of the glass I use a towel with some water and then I go over it with a dry towel.

19. coacoa8506Valued MemberMember

I think these pet stores try to get your money with all these new inventions. For me, a simple sponge never used never washed does the trick. Or if you don't really want to get your hands wet, get the dishwashing sponge with the long handle. Again never used never washed. Both kinds can be found at dollar stores and grocery stores. Nothing against the use of the fancy stuff, I just have two kids and sometimes I find myself spending too much on the fish and not enough on the humans.

20. JRC3Well Known MemberMember

Every water change while the water is draining and lowered I wipe down the inside glass with a Tetra Whisper bio-bag. They are soft and puffy yet course enough to be effective. Been using the same two for about 2 years between all my tanks.

Got a whole box of them with a 10g QT/breeder I got on CL.

I've tried 2 or 3 different magnet cleaners and they take more effort than they're worth. I also don't like the thought of them picking up sand...And they do.