Best Cichlids to breed in a smaller Tank??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Bucket20, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Bucket20New MemberMember

I currently have a 29 gallon tank with a built in background with plenty of caves. I also have a 10 gallon to hold any fry that the cichlids produce. Im looking for egg layers because i think mouthbrooders would be quiet difficult. I could go either way between african and south american cichlids i just need to know what would be the easiest to breed in these tanks.:;rfro

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Cons, rams, apistos, angels. You've got quite a few options. Mostly just depends on what you like, and what fish are popular but hard to find in your area :)

3. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

Any ram cichlid, apisto. The african butterfly cichlids are gorgeous.

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Rams and Apistos aren't that easy to breed successfully but once you got a spawning pair they will continue spawning for a long time. Jewel Cichlids and Kribs are also easy to breed.

Honestly I don't think you should get into breeding. You don't have enough room for the babies to grow out. A 10g will be fine for newly hatched babies but they get big fast and produce a lot of waste. IMO you should try to breed in a 29g and then have at least two 20g grow outs. Ideally you should have several grow outs. I had one 55g or larger for each spawning pair of cichlids I had.

5. Atomsk

AtomskValued MemberMember

Shell dwellers are some of the smallest and easiest cichlids to breed.

6. wolverinedValued MemberMember

Julidochromis are my favorite cichlid. they stay pretty small and if your looking at just keeping a pair of them a 29 g is perfect for them. and a 10g would be sufficient for the fry cause they are pretty slow growers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice