Best cheap pond liner/tarp?

ojdgtjc

I am making a minI pond with a friend for bluegill, and we want the cheapest option for a pond liner. preferrably anything under $30-40. is there a pond liner or tarp that would be waterproof? it would only have water in the summers, because here in milwaukee its gotten down to -60 degrees. thanks!

jackson

Littlebudda

As a landscaper I wouldn’t recommend using cheap liners for ponds the reason they cost what they do is because they need to be tuff or they will tear and leak. Cheaper plastics may also leach chemicals into the water. And a tarp won’t be fully waterproof and will break down over time.

saltwater60

I’ll second the statements above. Do not cheap out on it. EPDM is the only option IMO. The work you’ll put into it if it needs to be fixed will be worth the cost.

Blue gills can work for a pond however keep in mind they rarely adapt to anything other than live insects as food. I had a sunfish for about 7-8 years and it never took a pellet in its life. Toss in a cricket and wham. My kids called him ninja because it seemingly would strike the insect out of nowhere. I didn’t worry much because I have so much insect larvae with the pond being 5500 gallons and my kids toss in some worms here and there.

Moral of you get what you pay for is 100% accurate here.

ojdgtjc

I’ll second the statements above. Do not cheap out on it. EPDM is the only option IMO. The work you’ll put into it if it needs to be fixed will be worth the cost.

Blue gills can work for a pond however keep in mind they rarely adapt to anything other than live insects as food. I had a sunfish for about 7-8 years and it never took a pellet in its life. Toss in a cricket and wham. My kids called him ninja because it seemingly would strike the insect out of nowhere. I didn’t worry much because I have so much insect larvae with the pond being 5500 gallons and my kids toss in some worms here and there.

Moral of you get what you pay for is 100% accurate here.
Ok but I had a bluegill and I trained him on flakes and pellets it was easy for mine

saltwater60

Ok but I had a bluegill and I trained him on flakes and pellets it was easy for mine
Min was a sunfish so slightly different species but similar diet and habitat.
Every fish is different just like people.

coralbandit

Find a roofing supplier for the EPDM..It will be cheaper then a fish place .
Most go with .045 thickness..You'll need to find a supplier who cuts off the roll though as the smallest is usually 10x50...

AquaJunkie

My experience in life is that going cheap always ends up costing more in the end
“Stay Fishy”

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Danny002
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Danny002
  • aWildGarbageCan
  • Ponds
Replies
Views