Best Cheap Automatic Feeder?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by ZeeZ, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

As I've mentioned before, my 11 year old and 8 year old niece wants a fish tank for Christmas, so I'm putting together one for them. However, their mother, my sister, is not home all of the time because they share the house alternatively with her ex-husband and their father. He is NOT a responsible person, so I believe the solution to this without having the fish starve is an automatic feeder.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one that's relatively cheap? I'd prefer it have a large reservoir and if possible at all, can dispense two different types of food (flakes and sinking sticks).

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Zeez,
    I know Eheim do a twin barrel auto-feeder (I own one), that can be programmed for which barrel(s) dispense and on what days at a given time.

As for others, I'm not sure.... I know the Eheim isn't the cheapest, and the serving size is probably too much for a small tank (sub 30G IMO)

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Granted I have only tried a couple of automatic feeders over the years, however, I do not feel that taking the cheapest route for a feeder is the best way to go. You get what you pay for.

The one's I tried would clog, the food would get mushy and simply were not worth the effort and then they would not work properly. It has been years since I tried an auto feeder so maybe they have improved them. (?)

If I had to try them again, I would go for a better quality, more expensive type of feeder.

Ken

4. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

How about something like a day of the week pill dispenser? Then maybe the 11yo old could just feed them the set amount for that day. Depending on the fish maybe some type of granual or small/micro pellet type food would be better and cleaner than flakes.

I was thinking this at first:

But then I saw these:

Especially this one:

I also use those little salad dressing cups with lids for feeding and storing things like bloodworms. You and your sister could also use those with the day of the week written on them.

HTH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice