Best Catfish For Cleanup? 29-gal Mixed Community

spartanfish
Hello out there-

What's the best community catfish or bottom feeder to tidy up the substrate?

I have a 29-gallon with four plump black neons and two tiny (half dollar sized) angelfish. I only want to add a cat or bottom feeder since I know those angels are gonna get big. I really wanted a clown loach, but upon further reading I think my 29-gallon is just too small.

No matter how conservative I am with my feeding, there's some flakes floating around the bottom that I need someone to start cleaning up. And yes, I also hit it with the gravel vac when I change water.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
SoCalSM
Ditto

Al913
WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

I suggest you fix your stocking problems first. Neons are schooling fish and need a minimum group of 6. As for the angelfish you can only have 1 in a 29 gallon tank.

Clown loach are shoaling fish and need at least 6, each get 10" and need a 100+ gallon tank.

Unless you buy shrimp pellets or other food meant for cories I would not get corys. By the way, corys are shoaling fish and need a group of at least 6. It seems your looking for a clean up crew and no fish will fit that. I suggest you get snails or shrimps to do the job.

MyFishFillet
I agree with the above post^^^ Nerite snails are great for cleanup, they come in multiple color patterns, they don't breed in freshwater, and are all around a good choice.

They will lay eggs, small white specks, all over the tank but they won't develop unless they are in brackish water.

Good luck with your tank!

Staan
I was wondering what those white things were!!! Can you have brackish water with plants? And ghost shrimp?

MyFishFillet
I was wondering what those white things were!!! Can you have brackish water with plants? And ghost shrimp?
I know there are some brackish water plants but I do not know about the ghost shrimp. Create a thread and find out!! lol I'm not educated on brackish water so sorry I cannot give you much information.

Staan
Thanks though I've been wondering about those for while now

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cichlidmac
Replies
Views
TanksfortheMemories
Replies
Views
peacelilycactus