Best Carpeting/foreground Plants

1. B

Becknewt24 Valued Member Member

I’m going be remodeling my tank this summer. I want a decently heavy planted tank, so I want to know the foreground and carpeting plants (no co2) that would be the best, excluding java fern, I can’t seem to keep that alive.

2. OP
    OP
    B

FD5269D0-ED78-4CFB-AD3E-D672FA433470.jpeg I’m thinking a tank looking somewhat like this btw

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Although all carpeting plants like co2, staurogyne repens is going to give you the best results with out it. Anubis species can also work. Despite popular belief, you can plant them in the substrate as long as you don't burry the rhizome. However, they don't spread well and are expensive to buy an entire carpet.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you. Also is Pygmy chain sword good?

5. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

What size tank do you have? And lighting? A few - repeat few - carpeting plants that can survive in non CO2 environments still appreciate bright lighting.

The best plant i can think that simulate the hairgrass may be hairgrass.... some have had success with it in non CO2 enviro's, others not so much.

Other plants to look into would be tropica swords, smaller crypts (like parva), anubias petite, hydrocotlye tripitara japan and best of the bunch, dwarf sag.

6. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

I second Dwarf Sag or S.Repens, both are low-med light and not Co2 dependent. both just needs good trimming to promote carpeting growth, however no CO2 might make them slow to carpet but will still carpet

7. OP
    OP
    B

I have the bow front 36 gallon, so I guess the light that comes with that. And how about clovers?

8. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Many have had success with clovers... so that's certainly another option.