Best Carpet Plant For Low Tech

Jesse0305

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi. Ok so I have a fairly new aquarium about 2 months. It is the fluval vista 23 gallon. I am wanting to start planting my tank and want to start with a carpet. What would be the best carpet for what I have. I am ok with having to add fertilizer and stuff like that but really don’t wanna change substrate or add co2 or change my light. So this might limit me and if so let me know and what would be the best thing to change.

About my tank
Ammonia and nitrite 0 nitrate is around 20
4 guppies
2 Cores
Media is small gravel I think it’s natural not painted or anything
Aqua clear 50 filter and aqua clear 30 power head
And the light I’m using came with the tank it’s a 8000k led and pretty sure it’s 800 Lumens it also has a couple blue leds I can turn to.

DaleM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The vast majority of carpet plants need high lighting and once you get into the high lighting, you really need CO2. Your cories could dig up your carpet plants too when looking for food. Are you going to add more cories? They like to be in schools of about 6 or more

OP
J

Jesse0305

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did not realize that about Cory’s that they could uproot the plants. And also didn’t realize they need to be in a group of 6. The local fish store said any number. I don’t think my tank could hold 6 cories. Would they be fine with just the 2.

And I’ve looked at Java moss I thought that was for rocks and wood. What’s the best way to plant it for carpet.

Also should I just not do the carpet due to having cories. And maybe put like java moss on my drift wood or my rock. I have a large piece of drift wood and a decent size Texas holy rock. And that’s the best way to attach it to either of those.

Or should I do larger plants and maybe the Cories won’t mess with those. But also what plants will work good with my tanks set up.

I realize that’s a lot of ? Lol. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Corys really need a group of around 6 or more, 2 isn't going to cut it.

Java moss can stick on substrate similar to the way they stick on wood. Over time it will attach itself. There is multiple ways of setting up a moss carpet, one is to take a mesh, attach moss to the mesh, and once it attaches itself put the mesh on the bottom. The moss will then spread. You can use a similar method to make moss walls on the back and sides of your aquarium.

Corydoras really enjoy space to dig in the substrate and play, so I would either do a carpet but leave the corys a lot of space, or not do one at all.

Looking up the dimensions of the fluval vista 23, with your current stocking, you could add a nice school of corydoras, depending on the type. What type do you have?

OP
J

Jesse0305

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I might do carpet on part of my tank maybe the front center my cories never go there they are always in the back for front left or right. And I believe they are Julie cories. One is big like almost 3 inches and the other is a maybe 1.5 inches. And if I do get 6 cories how would I have room for other fish or is that it

Attachments

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jesse0305 said:
Ok I might do carpet on part of my tank maybe the front center my cories never go there they are always in the back for front left or right. And I believe they are Julie cories. One is big like almost 3 inches and the other is a maybe 1.5 inches. And if I do get 6 cories how would I have room for other fish or is that it
You would still have room for more fish.

OP
J

Jesse0305

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok good I wanted atleast 2 more guppies bc I knew they had to be in a group. Does it matter what type of cories I get so I have to get the same or can I get like 2 albinos and 2 green cories. Thank you everyone for the help I really appreciate it.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jesse0305 said:
Ok good I wanted atleast 2 more guppies bc I knew they had to be in a group. Does it matter what type of cories I get so I have to get the same or can I get like 2 albinos and 2 green cories. Thank you everyone for the help I really appreciate it.
You need to keep the same species of cory in a school, you can't do 3 bronze and 3 peppered corys, for example. You should be fine adding 2 more guppies.

OP
J

Jesse0305

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok cool thanks again for the help

New Threads