Best Carpet Plant For Low Tech

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Jesse0305, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Jesse0305

Jesse0305New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi. Ok so I have a fairly new aquarium about 2 months. It is the fluval vista 23 gallon. I am wanting to start planting my tank and want to start with a carpet. What would be the best carpet for what I have. I am ok with having to add fertilizer and stuff like that but really don’t wanna change substrate or add co2 or change my light. So this might limit me and if so let me know and what would be the best thing to change.

About my tank
    Ammonia and nitrite 0 nitrate is around 20
    4 guppies
    2 Cores
    Media is small gravel I think it’s natural not painted or anything
    Aqua clear 50 filter and aqua clear 30 power head
    And the light I’m using came with the tank it’s a 8000k led and pretty sure it’s 800 Lumens it also has a couple blue leds I can turn to.

2. DaleM

DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +392
    Experience:
    Just started
    The vast majority of carpet plants need high lighting and once you get into the high lighting, you really need CO2. Your cories could dig up your carpet plants too when looking for food. Are you going to add more cories? They like to be in schools of about 6 or more

3. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,708
    Experience:
    4 years
    S. Repens is a decent carpeting plant, but the cories will probably root them from the ground.

4. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +451
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Why not try a moss carpet, like a carpet of java moss? Most carpet plants require a nutrient rich substrate and good lighting.

5. OP
    OP
    Jesse0305

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I did not realize that about Cory’s that they could uproot the plants. And also didn’t realize they need to be in a group of 6. The local fish store said any number. I don’t think my tank could hold 6 cories. Would they be fine with just the 2.

And I’ve looked at Java moss I thought that was for rocks and wood. What’s the best way to plant it for carpet.

Also should I just not do the carpet due to having cories. And maybe put like java moss on my drift wood or my rock. I have a large piece of drift wood and a decent size Texas holy rock. And that’s the best way to attach it to either of those.

Or should I do larger plants and maybe the Cories won’t mess with those. But also what plants will work good with my tanks set up.

I realize that’s a lot of ? Lol. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

6. FlipFlopFishFlake

Ratings:
    +451
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Corys really need a group of around 6 or more, 2 isn't going to cut it.

Java moss can stick on substrate similar to the way they stick on wood. Over time it will attach itself. There is multiple ways of setting up a moss carpet, one is to take a mesh, attach moss to the mesh, and once it attaches itself put the mesh on the bottom. The moss will then spread. You can use a similar method to make moss walls on the back and sides of your aquarium.

Corydoras really enjoy space to dig in the substrate and play, so I would either do a carpet but leave the corys a lot of space, or not do one at all.

Looking up the dimensions of the fluval vista 23, with your current stocking, you could add a nice school of corydoras, depending on the type. What type do you have?

7. OP
    OP
    Jesse0305

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ok I might do carpet on part of my tank maybe the front center my cories never go there they are always in the back for front left or right. And I believe they are Julie cories. One is big like almost 3 inches and the other is a maybe 1.5 inches. And if I do get 6 cories how would I have room for other fish or is that it

Attached Files:

8. FlipFlopFishFlake

Ratings:
    +451
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You would still have room for more fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Jesse0305

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ok good I wanted atleast 2 more guppies bc I knew they had to be in a group. Does it matter what type of cories I get so I have to get the same or can I get like 2 albinos and 2 green cories. Thank you everyone for the help I really appreciate it.

10. FlipFlopFishFlake

Ratings:
    +451
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You need to keep the same species of cory in a school, you can't do 3 bronze and 3 peppered corys, for example. You should be fine adding 2 more guppies.

11. OP
    OP
    Jesse0305

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ok cool thanks again for the help