Best Canister On A Budget? 38gallon 40 Gallon Tank

1. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Im tired of fixing/replacing clogged hob filtration units

Is there a canister that would work for me that won’t break the bank? I’m running a 38 bow front and right now I’m the most heavily stocked that ever been with 1bn pleco, 6khulis, 4 guppies, 6harlequens, 2 mystery snail, unknown quantities of mts

I was planning on getting the harlequins up to ten but now I’m not sure if my filtration can handle it

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I currently use a Penn Plax Castade on a tank you size that was rated for tanks up to 150 gallons. I don't remember how many gph it runs, but it's perfect for my tank and if memory serves me correctly, I think I paid $74.00 for it. I do most of my shopping so it came from Chewey, Amazon, Walmart, or Ebay. Just type Aquarium Canister Filters into Google and you'll get a lot of comparisons. I actually think it was from Chewey and there was no postage because it was over $49.00.

3. dcocinci

dcocinci Member Member

If you aren't against getting a used one and have a Facebook account, check Facebook Marketplace. All kinds of used aquarium gear on there.

4. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

I like to use the aquatop cf500 or something like that it was like 130?? Maybe less, but it works for 75 gallon I think.

5. finnipper59

Let me do a little online shopping and I'll get back to you asap.

6. OneLittleBubble

Oh shoot, it says 40 gallon. I don't know about the canister I recommended then. The flow might be too strong. For a 40, I would use a hang on the back. I think it's cheaper.

7. finnipper59

The Penn-Plax Canister 1000 that I have wors great and is east to maintain with3 baskets in it for media which is all included at Petco.com for $84.49

8. OneLittleBubble

???? I can't really understand what you're saying because of the typos. Sorry. Oh yeah, the aquatop has a UV light built in. 5 baskets

9. finnipper59

The flow is strong only in a straight line and slows down when it hits the other side of the tank. I ever have a betta in my tank that has no problem with the flow in the tank. I have to clean it every other month instead of changing filter cartridges every week.

10. OneLittleBubble

Honestly, I wouldn't buy Penn-Plax (personally, no offence) just because I feel like that brand makes cheaper made stuff. Like fake decorations and stuff. Not saying the filter is cheap

11. finnipper59

Ok. It's just a recommendation, not advice. I just have had great success with it. I choose to recommend something that I personally have tried.

12. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Haven't used a Penn-Plax canister filter, but as for the brand I put them above Tetra. I use the air-drive filters for carbon etc when I need to, and I think the oldest one I have still in serviceable condition is from the mid 90s. I also have one of those dinosaur green power filters around here somewhere. Mind you, I have a Hagen air pump from 1977ish sitting on my kitchen counter right now aerating my sick Danios.

13. finnipper59

Something else I tried and still own is a Sunsun canister filter. It sucks. It bragged about great water flow. I had it running in me 10 gallon Quarantine tank. It had less flow that the hob filter i now have back on the tank. The Sunsun is back in it's box and in my closet.

14. Bermuda Triangle

Bermuda Triangle Initiate Member

I recently purchased a Marineland canister filter . I’m very pleased with how well it functions . Regardless of which filter you choose, Petsmart will match Chewy or their website prices in store . Petco will do the same . Pet Supply Plus will match any online prices. I saved a bundle of money not just on a filter , but on supplements , fish food , medications , dry goods such as filter pads for my canister filter .
    Good luck .

15. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Give us an amount to the money you are looking to spend.

Keep in mind that a good canister is not cheap and a cheap canister is not good.

I use nothing but MarineLand. I am running 6 canisters at this time.

16. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Well, petsmart carries fluval starting at $150....but that price tag will mean up to 3months wait time while I budget.

I saw one on amazon.ca for$100, with good reviews, which I could better afford

I don’t mind paying a bit more if it means having a great filter for my display tank and only buying once....as long as I know that I’m buying a make/model that will manage my tank

Edit: that is the penplax cascade on amazon. They also have eheim canisters. For the price of fluval units, I’m better to make an envelope and pay cash in store

17. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

PetSmart will price match the Fluval canisters to Amazon prices. I also give a +1 to the Penn Plax Cascade. I just set up my first canister filter (Cascade 700) on a 40 gallon breeder. I love it so far.

18. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Petsmart here in Canada regularly puts the Fluval 06 series canisters on sale for about $50 off, which would bring the 206 down to your budget level.
    Big Al's is also having their annual tent sale next weekend (May 25-27).

19. finnipper59

I would like to make a suggestion that you not pay so much attention to brands and concentrate on gph moreso than size rating. Keep within you budget and get the best flow rate for your budget. No matter what canister filter you buy, it's only going to have one moving part...the impeller. It's not like you're shopping for cars with a lot of different options.

20. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Actually, there are features in canisters that can vary. I chose Fluval 06 series because of the aquaflow valve. The plastics are better quality than SunSun or PennPlax. I got a 206 for $90 on Amazon but it's too small for a 38g tank. I have it on a 20g long. I have a 306 on a 40b and a 406 and FX4 on a 75g.