Best Canister Filter 75 Gallon Tank

1. Ryan Neidinger

Ryan Neidinger New Member Member

I’ve always used hang on the back filters but I want to get into a canister filter for my 75 gallon tank. It has 1 Oscar (11 in) and 2 pictus (3 in). Any suggestions on brands and models?

2. tetratetris

tetratetris Valued Member Member

Hi :)

Sun-Sun canister filters are awesome because (On amazon) They are only ~85$(US) but do ~550 gph and come with all the piping and what not. They also have good reviews and come with a UV Sterilizer.

Hope this helps:)

3. B

BichirKeeper84 Valued Member Member

Sunsuns are great. Best bang for your buck sort of canister. I run 3 of them on my tanks. If money is no object you could look into a fluval fx 4. Probably one of the higher quality canisters for a 75.

4. OP
    OP
    Ryan Neidinger

I want something reliable. I just got the tank and got cheap hang on back filters for now because I’m planning on getting a canister. I don’t want to cheap out because I’m already so much money in, I might as well do everything top notch. I was looking at the fluval 406 it’s a 100 gal rating. Is there any better brands? I’m new to canisters so I don’t know much about them. And is there such a thing as too much filtration?

5. B

BichirKeeper84 Valued Member Member

No such thing as too much but at the same time no sense in spending 100s extra with no benefit. Though I'd look at the fx4 if you can swing it. Much better construction and ease of maintenance. Eheims are also very good filters but personally I prefer sunsuns or fluval

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

The Fluval 406 will not work for your tank. You have a 75 with a large fish in there. The 406 is only rated up to 100 gallons (according to research) and you will have some problems with ammonia being converted to Nitrates...which will eventually poison your tank due to the extra ammonia that it can't convert.

Sun Suns you can't go wrong with, I was looking into that but my wife stopped that as she much rather have a reliable canister vs. a meh...if it leaked it would have been the end of having fish in the house.

I would look at a FX4 as it's rated up to 250g. I have this running in my 90g and it's pretty good and easy to use. There is no priming at all.

You could also look at a Ehiem Pro 4 which is up to 160g, and $50 less. But for $50 more might as well get something rated a little higher.

I got my Fx4 at Petsmart during the fourth of July holiday. Got a really great deal, so if you want to see what deals they might have you might end up only paying like $175 like I did.

7. OP
    OP
    Ryan Neidinger

is there such thing as too much filtration. I have my eye on a fluval 406 and a fluval Fx 4. The 406 is rated for 100 gallons and the fx 4 is rated for 250 gallons and the price is pretty close. Should I get the fx 4 over the fluval 406 or is the fx 4 too powerful for a 75 gallon tank?

8. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

I'd just go with the FX4. Imo,no such thing as over filtering. What kind of fish are you going to house in this tank?

9. OP
    OP
    Ryan Neidinger

I have an 11 inch Oscar and 2 pictus catfish in there. I just adopted this Oscar a few days ago and have another one so I know how dirty they can be. I have 2 hang on back filters on right now that are 75 gal rated but owning fish for a while I want to start doing canisters for them and just want to get an idea on what’s the best for the fish. Thank you for your input.

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place

11. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I have. Penn Plax Cascade 1000 that I really love...even though penn plax has gotten a bad reputation in the past. Make sure that you go by gph and not what the filter says by size of tank. Get a filter for your size tank that has a gph of 250 to 300. And check them out online for best prices. Chewy.con has a good price on filters and free shipping orders over $49.00.

12. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

with an Oscar I'd definitely consider the larger canister.

13. A

AquaPro247 New Member Member

I have the hydor 350 model on my 75 gallon community tank and so far I love it! Quietest filter ever!

14. OP
    OP
    Ryan Neidinger

image.jpg I ended up going with the fluval fx4 because of it being on sale. Thanks to everyone for your input and advise and I’m sure I will be using canisters on all of my tanks now so I can try out all of the kinds you recommended.

15. finnipper59

Congratulations on you new filter. It should do the job well since it's rated at 750gph for an aquarium your size. You will be filtering your tank 10 times an hour.

16. finnipper59

Sorry...700gph.

17. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You won't regret this one. I sure hope you have the space for this thing. It's not the usual size like other canisters.

18. OP
    OP
    Ryan Neidinger

I can see how big the attachments are but they fit in well. My Oscar is confused right now but I’m ready to get rid of the hang on back ones. I’ll post a picture when it’s all set up.

19. finnipper59

Are you going to put the hob cartridges in the new canister or just run it a few weeks along with the canister?

20. OP
    OP
    Ryan Neidinger

I
    was planning on keeping both the hob and canister so I don’t disturbed the fish and take out the good bacteria.