Best canister filter rated for around 200 gallon tank?

1. r

ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

Hi there, I'm wondering if anybody can recommend the best SINGLE canister (or even an HOB) filter, that would be sufficient for a 200g tank. I know there expensive, so any money saving tips would be appreciated. Trying not to exceed $200 (far-fetched?)

2. jwhorner6

jwhorner6 Well Known Member Member

Fluval fx5 or fx6

3. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

2 Eheim 2217's would work, but would be a bit over $200. And that is obviously not a single filter. Why do you just want 1? A single filter that will work for that tank and for that price isn't going to happen if you want new. I would look for used ones.

You could do a single Eheim 2217 with an Aquaclear 110. You could get them both new for pretty close to $200.

4. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

SunSun's are the best value in canister filtration. You could go with 2 of the larger models and still be under $200. I use the smaller model HW-302 on my 40 gallon and its great. Tons of media space/options, super quiet, super cheap ($30 on ebay including shipping). Not sure of the price on the larger models but I think its around $75 or so including shipping.

5. jwhorner6

jwhorner6 Well Known Member Member

Sorry for my recommendation I did not see your price point. I'm not 100% but I don't think they make a filter that will handle your size tank for the price you are looking for. You will need to do something like two sun suns or 2 aquatops. If you can spare the extra money and really only want one filter then the fluval fx5 is great

6. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

Single filter, under $200 - far fetched!

7. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

+1 Fluval FX5 or Fx6

8. OP
    OP
    r

I kinda thouth it was far fetched, but funny story, I went out to eat with a few friends who I hadn't seen in a very long time (aka since I started keeping fish a few months ago), I mentioned my fish and the next words out of his moth were "I have a 30g hex tank you can have with a canister filter and stand and blah blah blah", everything I need. Not sure what type of filter it is yet, but I'm thinking I'm going to use whatever canister this tank provides plus my marineland penguin 350b.

I got lucky for once.

9. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

FYI, the free canister and a Penguin 350 would not be enough filtration for a 200 gallon tank. Check out the SunSun's you could get all the filtration you need for well under $200.

10. OP
    OP
    r

I don't actually have a 200g tank. I have a 40g breeder, but if I said that in my initial threat, I wouldn't have gotten the answer I wanted. I would like to purchase a filter that is equivillant to 200g or 180g at the least. =)

11. ryanr

ryanr Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,
    My general recommendation for canister filters is around 6x the volume of the tank per hour.

For a 200G, somewhere around 1200GPH is what you're after. HOWEVER - it depends what you intend on stocking. If you were going for a pleco, goldfish, cichlids, I'd suggest going even higher, due to the bioload.

To get that flow in a single filter, you're limited to few options, Fluval FX6 as suggested and pond filters like the Aqua One (Pond One) Claritec range or Water Dragon. There's no single filter in the Eheim range that I'm aware of.

To get one of these filters in the $200 range brand new is quite ambitious, but if you're prepared to go second hand, then there may be options.

Your other option is to go with a wet/dry sump style setup - check out Ken's sump on his 265G: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist/137148-265g-filter-upgraded-2-6-13-a.html

12. OP
    OP
    r

Like I said let's in my last post I dont actually have a 200g tank, but I would like a filter rated for such. Tank is 40g Breeder...

I would like a filter rated for about 180-200g.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. ryanr

ryanr Fishlore Legend Member

Like I said in my last post - finding a filter for a 200G tank, for $200 is difficult

Curious to know why you want a 1200GPH filter for a 40G tank? :;sh

14. OP
    OP
    r

Id rather have too much than too little, and my bio load is a lil heavy

15. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

These hold more media, which would make it more desirable than an FX6 in my opinion. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/eheim-2262-canister-filter.html]

I have canisters,Eheim 2262's on a 180 and a 225 gallon. To be honest as much as I like canisters, when filtering bigger tanks, like bigger than a 125, you should use a sump. You can make them, and customize them yourself for much cheaper than a huge canister. You can do it for around $200 with a used tank for your sump. Then you can buy another used tank and take it apart and use the glass for your baffles.

With a sump you are adding a lot more water to your system, which means it is easier to maintain even with a large bio load. And sumps let you get all the equipment out of your tank, which makes for a nicer looking tank in my opinion.

16. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've got this baby on my 40 breeder, and I love it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/290927707971?lpid=82

It's not very strong, but the amount of media you can shove in it is fantastic. It would be perfect for goldfish (I've used the two smaller models together on a 50 gallon for goldfish with no issues, and am currently using this one for a Jack Dempsey).

17. OP
    OP
    r

Its actually for my catfish tank(40g breeder). My goldfish tank(30g) has plenty filtration already, marineland penguin 350b & whisper 40