Best canister filter for 40g breeder?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by yogosans14, Jul 18, 2015.

1. y

yogosans14 Valued Member Member

Hello,

I recently got a 40G breeder and will move my two goldfish (they are only 3 inches) to it when I get a tank stand for it next week. My question is I really want to get a canister filter, on my 20 Long I have 1 aqua clear that pumps 200GPH but I feel it's a little Underpowered for how messy these fish are!im willing to spend 100-150$ on a good canister filter not those cheap knock off ones!

I also want to get a quarantine tank in case on of my fish get sick and was wondering would a standard 20 gallon be good?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm running a Fluval 206 on my 40 Breeder for African cichlids, highly recommend it. I got the 406 on my 75g as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

There's a SunSun canister filter for around $90 on Amazon that could pump over 500GPH. Otherwise a large Fluval or Eheim canister will get the job done. I used a Fluval 306 on a 75 gallon for a while. although the tank was a bit large for that filter.

4. Dom90

A 306 would be underrated for a 75g imo, only 303 GPH...

5. LiterallyHydro

I did say it was a bit on the low side. I wouldn't actually recommend doing that, but I am saying it did its job just fine in that particular case. The tank wasn't overstocked though.

And as far as canisters go, their flow rate can be a lot lower than using HOB filters since the water will flow through a lot more media. 5x turnover is generally good for canister filters. Although in my situation it was pretty low, right around 4x turnover.

6. Dom90

Yea... For goldfish I'd still shoot for 6-7x, and the OP is willing to spend around $150-200 so why not? Then I'd recommend the 306.

7. LiterallyHydro

The OP stated a budget of $100-150. The Fluval 306 however still falls under that price.

My recommendation is either:

The Fluval 306
    SunSun HW-304B

8. Dom90

Meh I'm getting sleepy lol but yea she also said no "cheap knock offs", not sure if she considers SunSun one but I'm a big Fluval fan!

9. LiterallyHydro

I wouldn't say SunSuns are cheap knockoffs. Just because they are a Chinese brand doesn't necessarily make them bad products. The cheap knockoffs are the ones on eBay that make SunSuns look like Eheims.

10. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I have the sunsun 304b on my 40 breeder, it's great. TONS of room for media, runs super quiet. It was about $78 on amazon and came with a fair amount of media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Off topic posts have been deleted.

For goldfish, I'd suggest 10x the filtration, but one must consider the amount of current caused by a large filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice