Best canister filter for 40g breeder?

yogosans14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

I recently got a 40G breeder and will move my two goldfish (they are only 3 inches) to it when I get a tank stand for it next week. My question is I really want to get a canister filter, on my 20 Long I have 1 aqua clear that pumps 200GPH but I feel it's a little Underpowered for how messy these fish are!im willing to spend 100-150$ on a good canister filter not those cheap knock off ones!

I also want to get a quarantine tank in case on of my fish get sick and was wondering would a standard 20 gallon be good?

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did say it was a bit on the low side. I wouldn't actually recommend doing that, but I am saying it did its job just fine in that particular case. The tank wasn't overstocked though.

And as far as canisters go, their flow rate can be a lot lower than using HOB filters since the water will flow through a lot more media. 5x turnover is generally good for canister filters. Although in my situation it was pretty low, right around 4x turnover.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea... For goldfish I'd still shoot for 6-7x, and the OP is willing to spend around $150-200 so why not? Then I'd recommend the 306.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Meh I'm getting sleepy lol but yea she also said no "cheap knock offs", not sure if she considers SunSun one but I'm a big Fluval fan!

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't say SunSuns are cheap knockoffs. Just because they are a Chinese brand doesn't necessarily make them bad products. The cheap knockoffs are the ones on eBay that make SunSuns look like Eheims.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the sunsun 304b on my 40 breeder, it's great. TONS of room for media, runs super quiet. It was about $78 on amazon and came with a fair amount of media.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Off topic posts have been deleted.

For goldfish, I'd suggest 10x the filtration, but one must consider the amount of current caused by a large filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom