Best budget friendly ferts?

airdog44

So right now I am dosing seachem flourish and I don’t think it’s doing the trick. Any budget friendly ferts? The thrive is a little too pricey for me even though it has amazing reviews. And easy green is pricy without the free shipping(and I don’t want to spend over $60). Thanks for the help!

RedOnion

So right now I am dosing seachem flourish and I don’t think it’s doing the trick. Any budget friendly ferts? The thrive is a little too pricey for me even though it has amazing reviews. And aquarium co-op easy green is pricy without the free shipping(and I don’t want to spend over $60). Thanks for the help!
24hr Aquarist APT fertilizer is under $20 with shipping and it has tons of good reviews. You can buy it off of their website or from Vishaquatics on this forum! He is an official retailer of them, you can PM him about it:)

Upvote 0

airdog44

Ok thanks I’ll check that out!
On their website it says does 3ml for every 100l every day. I have a 10 gallon so how many ml would that be? A little less than one? Or it says does 4 times a weeks 5 ml for 100l. How many ml would that be for me? Sorry I’m bad at math haha

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I agree that APT Complete is an excellent fertilizer. It is what I use, because it's convenient and works so well.

But, if money is your main concern, dry fertilizers are probably the way to go. Once you buy the stuff, it will last years. You will have to play chemist though, mixing up everything yourself.

Upvote 0

RayClem

The issue with many liquid fertilizers is that they are quite diluted. This is good if you have a small aquarium, but not so good if you have a large aquarium or multiple smaller ones.

When purchasing a fertilizer, make sure you read the ingredients so you know which nutrients are included and which are omitted. Seachem make a great line of fertilizers, but the Seachem comprehensive that many people purchase contains only micronutrients. It does not contain any of the macronutrients that plants require (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium). Seachem sells separate products to provide each of those nutrients separately.

I use Brightwell Aquatics Florin Multi which is similar to Seachem Comprehensive except that is is fairly concentrated and it contains potassium which many aquariums need. It is designed so that 5 ml of liquid per week is sufficient for 50 gallons of water. That makes it somewhat difficult to measure the small quantities of the fertilizer needed for smaller aquariums, so I dilute it 1 part fertilizer to 4 parts water so I can measure more accurately. That way, I use 5 ml of liquid for every 10 gallons.

There are all-in-one fertilizers like Easy Green and Nilocg Thrive which contain both micronutrients and macronutrients. They are usually designed to provide more nutrients than you need so that excess nutrients are removed through frequent, large water changes. I have multiple tanks and cannot use tap water for water changes, so I would rather avoid frequent, large water changes. Thus, I stick with the Florin Multi and dose macronutrients only as needed based on plant appearance.

Upvote 0

airdog44

Thanks RayClem, but I think I’m gonna go with the 2hr aquarist. It is budget friendly and has great reviews. The other brands you mentioned I know are great but are too pricy for me.

Upvote 0

RayClem

Thanks RayClem, but I think I’m gonna go with the 2hr aquarist. It is budget friendly and has great reviews. The other brands you mentioned I know are great but are too pricy for me.

No problem. I had never even heard of 2 hr aquarist until I read your post.

They recommends adding 5 ml per 100 liters (app 25 gal) four times a week. Since you have a 10 gallon tank (app 40 liters) you will need to dose 8 ml per week. Thus, a 200 ml bottle will last 25 weeks.

With Florin Multi, you will only need to dose 1 ml per week for a 10 gallon tank. Thus, Florin Multi is 8X as concentrated as 2hr Aquarist. A 250 ml bottle of Florin Multi should last you several years. In the long run, Florin Multi is much less expensive.

I have multiple planted tanks totaling 145 gallons. A 200 ml bottle of 2hr Aquarist would only last me two weeks. In comparison, a 250 ml bottle of Florin Multi will last me 17 weeks. Thus, for me, Florin Multi is much less expensive.

Upvote 0

airdog44

Ok, they are actually the same price but the one you recommended is 500 ml and 2hr is 200 ml. I think I know what I’m gonna get :)

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Ok, they are actually the same price but the one you recommended is 500 ml and 2hr is 200 ml. I think I know what I’m gonna get :)
Just to argue devil’s advocate—APT Complete is a more complete fertilizer than Florin Multi, as APT Complete provides nitrogen and phosphorus while Florin does not. Some of the best planted tankers on the planted tank forum believe based on what they’ve seen in their tanks that there seems to be a difference to plants between fish-produced nitrate and fertilizer-added nitrate. Also, Vishaquatics, one of our sponsors and plant gurus firmly believes after having tested tons of fertilizers over the years that APT is the best brand of fertilizer on the market. Just something to consider—both have their pros and cons.

Upvote 0

RayClem

On Amazon, Florin Multi is available in the following quantities: 125 ml, 250ml, 500ml, 2 liters, and 20 liters. I compared the 250 ml bottle of Florin (costing $11.85) to a 200 ml bottle of 2hr (costing $14.00). The Florin Multi is more concentrated, but the 2HR contains nitrogen and phosphorus as noted in the post above. However, in most aquariums, the food we provide to the fish providex the nitrogen and phosphorus that the plants need. In fact, too much nitrogen and phosphorus can lead to algae blooms. Many people use phosphate removal resins to minimize phosphates in their tanks. If you use activated carbon in your filters, it will usually raise phosphate levels unless you use expensive laboratory grade carbon.

If you want a complete fertilizer, try the 2HR APT and see if it works for you. If you are not satisfied, try something else. There are many options. I was just trying to suggest a low cost option since that seemed to be important to you.

Upvote 0

airdog44

I really don’t know what to do here, I’m so indecisive when it comes to fish related shopping :). So I’ll let you guys choose. Here are my plants and tank specs:
Windelov and normal Java fern
Water wisteria
Rosette Sword
Anubius
Monte Carlo
Salvinia Minima
Rotala Rotundifolia

I have a sponge filter as my filtration and a nicrew light with 8 neon tetras and 2 nerite snails. (10 gallon tank)
I really appreciate the help

Also, I’m okay with both of the prices it all comes down to what is best for my tank at this point.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

If it were me...I'd use APT Zero (I'd opt for APT Zero over APT Complete considering you have easy pants in a low tech tank) and a soil substrate. And, every three months or so, I'd push one little Osmocote Flower and Vegetable sphere into that soil substrate every 1-2 square inches or so. This has become my fertilization routine lately, and it has been working very well.

Upvote 0

airdog44

I’ve been looking around and can’t find the flora multi anywhere. So I think I’ll go with the APT.

Upvote 0

RayClem

What are your nitrate levels? If your nitrate levels are low (let's say under 20 ppm) then you might need to supplement nitrogen. In that case an all-in-one fertilizer containing nitrogen would be good. If your nitrate levels are high (40 ppm and higher), then you probably do not need to use a nitrogen supplement. If you are between 20-40 ppm, then either a fertilizer with or without nitrogen should work.

There are too many unknown variables for the community to decide for you. I suspect that either the Florin Multi or the 2HR would work, but knowing nitrate and phosphate levels might tip the decision one way or the other.

Upvote 0

airdog44

My nitrates are between 20-40. I’m sorry I don’t mean to sound lazy having people decide for me. I’m just fairly new at this hobby and just started a planted tank so I still don’t fully know what I’m doing.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

My nitrates are between 20-40. I’m sorry I don’t mean to sound lazy having people decide for me. I’m just fairly new at this hobby and just started a planted tank so I still don’t fully know what I’m doing.
If they're 20-40ppm you can always get the APT 24hr fertilizer ZERO, which is meant for tanks with higher nitrate levels. They're both the same amount of $$

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Just to argue devil’s advocate—APT Complete is a more complete fertilizer than Florin Multi, as APT Complete provides nitrogen and phosphorus while Florin does not. Some of the best planted tankers on the planted tank forum believe based on what they’ve seen in their tanks that there seems to be a difference to plants between fish-produced nitrate and fertilizer-added nitrate. Also, Vishaquatics, one of our sponsors and plant gurus firmly believes after having tested tons of fertilizers over the years that APT is the best brand of fertilizer on the market. Just something to consider—both have their pros and cons.
Depending on what plants we're talking about and how heavily stocked the tank is, plants can source all the nitrogen and phosphorus they need from fish waste and food.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
newclassic1
  • Question
Replies