Best Breeder Box

GUPPYMAMA27

Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked before but I am looking for a breeder box for guppies, wondering if anyone has had any luck. I have a decently planted tank but I am not getting the survival rates I am hoping for. Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you.

Betta'sAnonymous

From what i have seen, pretty much you have the hard plastic breeder box available or a breeder net, which has mesh netting for sides instead of hard plastic. One of the drawbacks of the net is i have seen fish suck fry right through the netting.

mimo91088

I don't use any personally. But if I were to ever get one, the air powered hang-on style would probably be my first try. They look like they keep the water circulating well.

GUPPYMAMA27

mimo91088 said:
I don't use any personally. But if I were to ever get one, the air powered hang-on style would probably be my first try. They look like they keep the water circulating well.
Thank you thats what I was thinking. I just had someone give birth and I only have 2 fry left alive (adults have been removed from the tank but too late)

WateryDreams

GUPPYMAMA27 said:
Thank you thats what I was thinking. I just had someone give birth and I only have 2 fry left alive (adults have been removed from the tank but too late)
In my very early days with swordtails, also live bearers, I used to float alot of plants on top off the tank. I had a 20 G for my 1st gen. Maybe 1/4 survived? Somewhere in there. For my 2nd gen I got smarter (or so I thought) and set up another tank with my main swords in the new 30 G and I'd move my preggo females to the 20 G. I got a little better, maybe half lived before I could scoop the Momma's out. They always seemed to love doing it at night when I was sleeping, but I kept the floating plants so the fry could run and hide.

The 3rd gen, I got a breeder box (plastic) - I'd put it in with the floaty plants in the 20 G with Momma inside the box so when she gave birth, the fry would swim out, trapping her in there. That didn't go so well, the distance was to big for the fry to feel comfortable swimming out and bolting for my plants so they stayed too long with Momma.

By the 4th gen, I think I had it figured out - 40g B with all of them (adults), the 20 G I used the breeder box but kept the plants closer to the box so even at night the fry could escape and easily hide. Success! I'd gently float the plants away from the box after a day, put Momma back in the 40g B and raise the fry in the 20 G until they got big enough, then moved them to my 30 G to grow more until I could sell them to my LFS's.

Repeat, alot, LOL. I'd say breeder boxes are great only: 1.) you have another tank for the fry or 2.) you have lots of plants/hiding places for the fry and you don't care much how many survive.

It's a rollar coaster.

Also with the placement of the box it depends on your tank filters/current. I always had mine set up, in the end, in the 20G with the plants kinda tied close in the filter current to pass through the Momma's box.

GUPPYMAMA27

WateryDreams said:
In my very early days with swordtails, also live bearers, I used to float alot of plants on top off the tank. I had a 20 G for my 1st gen. Maybe 1/4 survived? Somewhere in there. For my 2nd gen I got smarter (or so I thought) and set up another tank with my main swords in the new 30 G and I'd move my preggo females to the 20 G. I got a little better, maybe half lived before I could scoop the Momma's out. They always seemed to love doing it at night when I was sleeping, but I kept the floating plants so the fry could run and hide.

The 3rd gen, I got a breeder box (plastic) - I'd put it in with the floaty plants in the 20 G with Momma inside the box so when she gave birth, the fry would swim out, trapping her in there. That didn't go so well, the distance was to big for the fry to feel comfortable swimming out and bolting for my plants so they stayed too long with Momma.

By the 4th gen, I think I had it figured out - 40g B with all of them (adults), the 20 G I used the breeder box but kept the plants closer to the box so even at night the fry could escape and easily hide. Success! I'd gently float the plants away from the box after a day, put Momma back in the 40g B and raise the fry in the 20 G until they got big enough, then moved them to my 30 G to grow more until I could sell them to my LFS's.

Repeat, alot, LOL. I'd say breeder boxes are great only: 1.) you have another tank for the fry or 2.) you have lots of plants/hiding places for the fry and you don't care much how many survive.

It's a rollar coaster.

Also with the placement of the box it depends on your tank filters/current. I always had mine set up, in the end, in the 20G with the plants kinda tied close in the filter current to pass through the Momma's box.
I was looking at getting one of the plastic ones that are powered from an air pump. And I do have a shrimp tank that I can put them for a week or two so they are big enough to not get eaten but hopefully too small to eat baby shrimp.

Thats all good info thank you! Some of that i have tried but your right they like to go at night so I wake up and there's only a couple babies left.

SanDiegoRedneck

I have seen some big time guppy breeders use plastic strainers / collinders (kitchen style)and float with foam . This looks not fancy but has slightly bigger holes than slits in breeder box plus like 4x size

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom