Best Breeder Box/Egg Hatcher For Corydoras?

Zach72202

So I have made a rack for 20L tanks in breeding style (short end out) and my main focus with it is going to be corydoras.

I have been thinking about the best way to hatch corydora eggs and the best solution to me would be a hang-on breeder box. Specifically I am looking at the fluval air powered ones so there is constant current and basically the breeder box get a 'waterchange' almost all the time.

My plan is to harvest the cory eggs whenever they spawn and place them in this breeder box. I will be using some type of foam to ensure no babies spill back into the tank of course, but what I am ultimately after is if this is the best option?

I have tried putting eggs in another tank, which works, but not as optimal as I like. This is why I have arrived at the HOB breeder box. I can keep waterflow up, keep it clean, easy to access as it will be on the ends of the rack, so no leaning over into tanks, and no difficulty cleaning. Easy to monitor too. The largest downside is that they are run by air, but lucky for me I am going to installing to a large air pump (1.7 cubic feet/min or about 48 liters per minute) to power most of my tanks. This way it will cost me a minimal amount extra to add an airline. I am also planning on heating the whole room to 76F~ with some tanks being higher.

I am obviously a novice when it comes to breeding corys. I have spawned a few species and raised the fry successfully, but I am looking for suggestions on setups for hatching the eggs/rearing the fry.

Thank you!

Sanderguy777

I have never used anything but a "3 way" breeder box from petsmart for guppy fry, but if I used something like that I would look at the "German breeding rings" here
German Breeding Rings - SWISSTROPICALS

They might be to expensive, and they obviously don't hang, but they would be less likely to fall and break, and any food that goes through would end up in the main tank, while there is less flow to pull small food out.

These are the less expensive (at the time I looked) options i saw on Amazon

Amazon.com : ISTA IF-648 Hang-On Separation Breeder Box, clear : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : UP Aqua D-631-EX External Cycle Breeder Box : Pet Supplies

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAJEAJ...abc_T5M2B8B0M1SDT06NX6PC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The last one is my favorite since I can choose air or water pump, depending on fry size etc, but all 3 do what you want i think (except they might be for INSIDE the tank, not hanging out...)

Upvote 0

Zach72202

I have never used anything but a "3 way" breeder box from petsmart for guppy fry, but if I used something like that I would look at the "German breeding rings" here
German Breeding Rings - SWISSTROPICALS

They might be to expensive, and they obviously don't hang, but they would be less likely to fall and break, and any food that goes through would end up in the main tank, while there is less flow to pull small food out.

These are the less expensive (at the time I looked) options i saw on Amazon

Amazon.com : ISTA IF-648 Hang-On Separation Breeder Box, clear : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : UP Aqua D-631-EX External Cycle Breeder Box : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : Finnex External Refugium Breeder Hang-On Box, Water Pump : Pet Supplies

The last one is my favorite since I can choose air or water pump, depending on fry size etc, but all 3 do what you want i think (except they might be for INSIDE the tank, not hanging out...)

Honestly I love that idea of the German Breeder Ring. That is very interesting and extremely innovative. It might find a place in my fishroom honestly.

I work at a fish store, so I can get the fluval HOB Breeder boxes for a pretty darn good deal. That finnex one looks really nice, but I am still working on getting them to become a Finnex dealer so we can have more affordable planted tank lighting options, along with myself wanting to buy lights for my own use. I have a mini-HOB filter that is a Finnex and I really like it. I want to try more of their products, so if I do get the chance I will definitely check that one out!

Thank you for the suggestions. Very interesting items out there that I had no idea about!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CarrieFisher
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishyFanatic86