Best brand of HOB filter?

MongooseALaMode

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since I was little we always got tetra filters so that's just what I tend to go for. Ive never had any issues with this type of filter but is there anything that is better? Is it based mostly on preference or is there a performance and/or quality difference?

OP
MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks!
Also is there a big difference between a hob and sponge? I have sponge intake covers for my hob filter

Parrot Head

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used Aquaclear 110's for about thirty years and never considered buying another HOB filter. They are a workhorse, and so easy to clean.

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like the smaller aqueons but the bigger ones fail a lot. Tetras are pretty good, probably best bang for your buck, IMO. Aqua clear probably the best but a bit pricey for me. I have a marine land and will never be getting another it's noisy the impeller came out of the box not sitting right, I can't get the bio wheels to spin, etc.

JimTheFishGuy

Well Known
Reaction score
The only real good ones are the AquaClear. Cartridge filters are just awful, since you throw away all of the bb each time you change the cartridge. (I have this corrected by running a second filter with only bio media- I can change the cartridges to keep the water clean but also save all of the bb. Planning to upgrade to AquaClear soon.) The Marineland seems to have a bad rep because of the noise and the bad wheel.

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JimTheFishGuy said:
The only real good ones are the AquaClear. Cartridge filters are just awful, since you throw away all of the bb each time you change the cartridge. (I have this corrected by running a second filter with only bio media- I can change the cartridges to keep the water clean but also save all of the bb. Planning to upgrade to AquaClear soon.) The Marineland seems to have a bad rep because of the noise and the bad wheel.
If you never change the cartridges you aren't throwing away the beneficial bacteria. I leave mine in instead of buying floss and there is usually room to put extra charcoal bags if I want to remove tannins or something.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JimTheFishGuy said:
I never throw out the cartridges just rinse them in old tank water.

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anyone ever use the pen-plax filters, specifically the cascade models, or the fluval C power filters? What's the consensus on those?

New Threads