Best Betta Tank

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a female betta who is very skidish and afraid of everything, so I had been keeping her in a 1.5 gallon tank until she could get used to her new surroundings. She has calmed down a lot and I think it’s time to move her to a new tank, but I want to get about for her and idk what is the best one to get! I can’t really go over 3 gallons though as I am running out of room!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would suggest putting her in something no smaller than a 2.5 gallon, that's a minimum for most bettas.
You can give her plenty of hiding places, and supplement the water with Indian Almond leaves. They tint the water a brown color, which helps them feel secure, or fight off diseases if they have any.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I know I plan on upgrading her, I’m just curious about what others use for tank kits. I’m not sure which one is the best one to use for bettas.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta lives in a heavily planted 10 gallon. Honestly, anything under 5 gallons isn't worth the purchase, and usually ends up with bored fish "glass surfing". A larger tank can hold a betta, maybe a few smaller, not bright fish, and lots of hiding places and is just a joy to watch. Currently loving my tank, and she loves it too!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 5.5 for my male betta, but don’t have room for another 5.5. I plan on upgrading him to a 10 over the summer. And I don’t think I could give her a tank mate as she would probably not do well with them. Everything scares her and I don’t want to stress her out!

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would highly recommend going with a 5.5gal at least. I know you said 3 gallon max but frankly, getting an Aqueon 5.5 is probably more bang for your buck anyway. You don't need to get any tank mates if you don't want to. Maybe some amano shrimp or a snail if you feel like you want to put more in the tank.
Next, I would stuff it with as many plants as you can get. Lots of moss, anubias, java fern. These are all low maintenance and the betta will feel great. Not sure what you have but it would be good to get a sponge filter and a heater (set to 80F)

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wrs2 said:
I have a 5.5 for my male betta, but don’t have room for another 5.5. I plan on upgrading him to a 10 over the summer. And I don’t think I could give her a tank mate as she would probably not do well with them. Everything scares her and I don’t want to stress her out!
If you feel like you don't want a another fish thats fine, though I had a fish that was scared in my house and we added other "dither" fish and they started moving around and was more active. In the wild, usually a fish always sees another fish somewhere and isn't entirely alone. It's kind of like "there's a good reason no one else is here, it's probably not safe out there" kind of deal. That's my 2 cents.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh well maybe then I can try something else with her. But small like an Endler or Feeder Guppy.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also, is the tank you have her in have natural plants? My betta loves her plants and is always messing around in them and swimming through them. Having hiding places they know they can retreat to when they need to also helps them move out and feel less shy. If there is, say, one hiding plac3, they just stick it. Hope this helps!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah she has natural plants. They were originally in my 5.5 but I moved them to her tank.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I had to return something at petsmart today and saw they had a 3 gallon tank for 20. I bought it and guess what?? IT’S CRACKED! Ugh. So tomorrow I will bring it back and get a 5.5 as it’s only 29.99 for the top fin kit! So just about 10 more.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wrs2 said:
So I had to return something at petsmart today and saw they had a 3 gallon tank for 20. I bought it and guess what?? IT’S CRACKED! Ugh. So tomorrow I will bring it back and get a 5.5 as it’s only 29.99 for the top fin kit! So just about 10 more.
What you should do is wait for a dollar per gallon sale. When that happens, about every 5-6 months, you can get a 10 gallon for 10, 20 for 20, all up to 50 gallons.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I know about those one just ended on the 28th but I don’t have space for anything big.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom