Best Betta Tank Mates?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Georgia493, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Georgia493

Georgia493 New Member Member

I’m planning on getting a Betta but have been advised to add him to an established tank; so I’m wondering what the best tankmates are? Currently my Betta is on reserve at the shop waiting for me to take him home.

I have 4 Cory’s and was thinking about getting;

- Amano Shrimp
    - Neon Tetras

Or

- Nerite Snails
    - Harlequin Rasboras

But if anyone has any other suggestions I’m all ears :)

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I have glowlight tetras with mine. They are much better temperature wise than the neons. Hopefully this is for a 20 gallon or bigger tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Georgia493

14 gallons, I’m following the advice of the shop in setting up and once fully matured have been told by various people, including all 3 shops I’ve been to, that I’m okay to have up to 24 inches worth of fish

4. jared638459

jared638459 New Member Member

I would do amano shrimp But would rather get snail or other bottom dwellers big and fast enough to no get eaten or attack

5. OP
    OP
    Georgia493

Thought so, they’ve got plenty of hidey holes plus snails are more likely to eat my plants

6. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Nerite snails focus on eating algae rather than plants, which would be very beneficial for your tank. I have a ten-gallon tank with a betta and five harlequin rasboras. I absolutely love having harlequins with bettas. However, it also depends on the personality of the betta.

7. jared638459

jared638459 New Member Member

Remember that bettas are pretty good hunters so they will hunt of your shrimp 1 by 1 if there not big enough

8. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Just an fyi, the inch to gallon ratio isn't really a good way of determining how many fish.

I've had amanos and snails with different bettas. I'm pretty sure the one betta ate the snail's antennae. I've had others with no issues whatsoever. Except for one, I've never had any issues with the shrimp.

I think 24" is too much to go with a betta, if you put something like harlequins, which grow up to 2", you could put 10 of them in there with 1 betta however, I think that would be too much activity for the betta. I would suggest keeping the other fish all of a single species to let them all stick together. I've never had issues with the harlequins beating up on my bettas however, I would suggest getting something that would hang out more towards the bottom just for aesthetics purposes and for them to stay out of the bettas way. Tetras are also known to be fin nippers (found that out the hard way :( )

Since you already for the 4 cories, I would probably stick with just them and get some amanos. Cories are adorable to watch. Cories can range from 1.5 - 3" and amanos are also about 3". If you still insist on the inches:gallons, the 4 cories is approximately 12", the betta will be 3", snails (depending on what kind) will get quite large and produce a lot of poop so we'll say 4" for them or amanos which are 3". With just those fish you're looking at 19", rasboras and tetras are schooling fish and should be in groups of 5.

9. OP
    OP
    Georgia493

I’m looking at getting some Amanos, and tetras are a likelihood as he currently lives with tetras at the shop, apparently he’s rather docile as far as Bettas go :)

10. Adriifu

Then I would definitely go for the amanos and tetras. Whatever he's used to should work.

11. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

I don’t recommend tetras unless you REALLY want them. They tend to be nippers. I’ve had a neon tetra for 5 hours and it’s already going after my Betta who is VERY docile and now I have to return him but the harlequin Rasboras go really well they have even started schooling with my Betta but the Betta just looks at them weird because he doesn’t know what there doing. Lol! If you do decide to get the Rasboras I would get 4-6 of them

12. Adriifu

I am worried about the fin-nipping, but I also think that if the betta is doing all right in its current tank with neons, then it may be fine in a new tank with them.

13. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

If it’s going to be the same neons then yes I think that would be great, but if she will be getting new neons that would be pushing her luck.

14. david1978

I would find new shops since there is no way you can have a 24" fish in your tank. Fish are all different in both bio load and activity level so to say inches of fish is just so wrong.

15. OP
    OP
    Georgia493

His fins are in good condition and after speaking to the shop they’re happy for me to take the neons in his tank with him rather than getting new ones

16. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

If im not mistaken neon tetras aren’t temperature compatible with bettas try cardinals they look similar,temperature compatible, much more peaceful and don’t have wired diseases. Rasboras on the other hand are way better option specially lambchop rasboras they are the tiny version of harlequin

17. Adriifu

Neon tetras are temperature compatible with bettas. They can easily handle 75-82 degrees, which is what a betta prefers.

18. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

Maybe i messed up bettas temperature with some other fish. Anyway I always prefer cardinals over neons. They are way hardier

19. david1978

No you didn't mess neons up with other fish. Neons are considered subtropic as in around mid 70's. Bettas and cardinals are tropical fish as in around 80.

20. Adriifu

IMO, bettas can easily thrive in temperatures of 75 degrees. Up to the OP, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice