Best Betta tank for around fitty or less

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by tyguy7760, Aug 7, 2015.

1. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

So the wife wants a betta tank. We've had so much fun with our 36g bf but she wants something more for the kids. So I'm doing my research.

From what I've seen 2.5-5 gallon tanks are prime for a betta. I've looked at a few on amazon and I'm trying to stay around 50 bucks. But I also want something that I'm not going to have to upgrade a ton with filters and what not. Can anyone suggest a tank? Here are the ones I've found and didn't know if any of you have opinions, experience, or what not with any. I'm also completely open to other suggestions as well

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K0ZKAQ/(Seems like this one is the most popular on forums that I have seen. Also seems like it has a lot of stuff and high quality for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29095-Cube-Aquarium-3-Gallon/dp/B008CA7W7E (This one is cheap. But it looks like I'd have to upgrade a few things. That's ok since I'm saving nearly 20 bucks on the tank itself but with all the upgrades that may surpass my 50ish budget)

(Also a contender but can't find out as much info on this one)

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML90609-Portrait-Aquarium-5-Gallon/dp/B00O8SZTKQ/ (Also interesting and the biggest as far as gallons but also the most expensive. Doesn't look like it has as much room for the filter components and can't really find out much info)

Like I said I'm up for other suggestions. I want to stay 50-60 or less for the tank, filter, light, and lid (must have a lid). If it has an led light even better because I do want to put a small live plant in it or two.

Thanks as always fish people

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I don't have any experience with those tanks, so I'm judging based on shape, FYI.

The Fluval Spec one does look a bit tall, but it might be okay, imo.

I like the shape of the Tetra one, it looks pretty decent space wise.

I think the Aqueon one would also work, it does have a decent shape. But it's acrylic so you'll have to be careful to avoid scratching it.

The Marineland one does concern me a little with it being so tall.

Here's the one I'm using for my betta, and my main complaint is that the filter motor is super loud, but I guess I've gotten used to it: http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29005-G...pebp=1437939231003&perid=02SH2S85JZZAFY4DQAC2

Hope I managed to help some, even though I couldn't offer experience! :)

3. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Oh didn't see that one. Since it's a glolight tank, would I need to change the light? Or does the LED have regular white lights.

The loud filter is kind of a bummer. Don't want anything too loud. I guess I could upgrade the filter to something more quiet. Do you know if there are any out there that are good for betta tanks that aren't super loud?

YOu don't by chance have a pic of yours set up do you?

4. BornThisWayBettas

The lights that come with that tank are indeed the blue LEDs, so if you wanted the regular white lights then you'd have to change them.

The filter isn't horribly loud per say, it's just the motor is certainly easy to hear. But you get used to it, and it's in my bedroom so apparently I can still sleep with it in there. It's a Tetra Whisper Internal Filter, but I have wondered if it's loud due to the fact that I have two cartridges in there, one is a previously seeded one that I used for an instant cycle on the tank. Just a thought.

Picture of the tank with the lights on:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Ahh. Yeah I don't think I want to keep the Beta under blue lights 100% of the time. May stick with that tetra tank. Pretty cheap and there are some people that stick with that filter. It's a bit cheaper than the fluval spec 3 so I can afford to upgrade something if need be.

Still open to other suggestions though.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Thought I heard undergravel filters weren't good. Ok for Bettas?

8. BornThisWayBettas

I don't particularly care for that tank shape, it's very tall, and bettas like more horizontal swimming space than vertical tmk. Also, I think I too have heard about undergravel filters not being so good.

9. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Yeah...the taller it is the more likely it is to be knocked over.

Also, how often do you do a water change in your betta tanks?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

In that case, I would just go with an Aqueon 2.5 gallon tank or one from Petsmart, Grreat Choice brand for $14.99.
    Filter:
    http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Pure-5-Power-Aquarium-Filter/dp/B004NP66M4
    Heater:

50% or more weekly is good. The water evaporates so quick in these 2.5, I'm topping off almost everyday.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  11. BornThisWayBettas

I think I did about 50% of mine today, don't forget getting a water siphon, too!

12. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Suggestions for a light if I went that route?

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Are you planning on having live plants?

14. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Yes. Probably low light plants though

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

In my case, I have two sky lights in my house that are indirectly feeding the hornworts in my 40B. Maybe you could just use ambient light to grow low light plants? Or maybe a table lamp. Would save from having to buy a dedicated light fixture for a betta tank.

16. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Well I'm not too worried about the light for the plants. More so just so my kids can see the fish well.

17. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Ok so the wife has convinced me to do the spec v for my betta.

New question

Is there anything I can put in there with the betta in a 5 gallon? I plan on putting plants in the tank (micro sword, some sort of bigger plant, maybe some anacharis from my 36 gallon). I know ghost shrimp are apparently hit or miss with bettas. I've seen some people put endlers in there with them (that can't be good). Nerite/Mystery snails are also popular i see. Anyone have any experience with putting any of these or others in the tank with a betta?

I kind of want something to help clean the tank a bit. Just to keep the stuff at the bottom/algae down a bit.

18. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Your best bet with a betta would be a nerite snail, just keep it from escaping the tank though.

19. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

That's what i figured. I could always throw a few ghost shrimp in there just to see. If he eats them then he gets a tasty meal.

20. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

Spec v is a good Betta tank. You'll have to turn the water pump way down though. I used to have my Betta in a spec v. I recently moved him to a 12$ 10g tank from petsmart bought a tetra whisper 10 air pump and a sponge filter for around 15$ and like a 30-40$ aquarium led light so now he has a huge new home(compared to his five gallon) with no current to struggle against.

The only complaint I have with the spec v is the light. It's bright enough for display but if you want plants they will have to need very little light like water wisteria or Java moss. That's the only things that have grown in mine successfully

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice