Best Betta Tank Aquascape You'll Ever See

DylanM
Today I was out getting a zebra danio to get my numbers back up to 8 after loosing 1 some time over the course of 9 or 10 months, In one of the tanks was the beautiful koi betta priced at $5 and I just couldn't resist knowing that these are not only one of the more expensive betta type, but they are also my favorite betta type. Anyways I managed to cough out another $2 for a small sponge to buffer the output of my quietflow 20 on my 10 gallon, got home, did a quick set up, did some media swapping between tanks so that I wouldn't have to go through a full cycle with this beautiful boy, and now here we are with a tank with an awesome fish and absolutely nothing else.

I'll probably post here again once I actually can be bothered to add some stuff to the tank for him. He's doing about as good as a betta will do a few hours after being added to the tank, flaring at his reflection in the glass constantly, swimming all around. Hopefully this doesn't end the same way my last koi betta situation did, but this one definitely looks healthier coming from the store. They guy at the store said he had fed him bloodworms that morning so I'll see if he'll eat pellets when I try to feed him tommorow. I have bloodworms in my freezer in case he doesn't want the pellets.

Attachments

• IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 167
midna
he's a cutie! also wow, he looks sooooo tiny in that bare tank, lol

Wayben
Very cool!! I haven't seen a Koi Beta before. I like it.

DylanM
Got a really nice picture a minute ago.

T56H1y8.jpg

Adriifu
Love it

DylanM
I realized you can't see the heater on my full-tank photo, but I do have a 50 watt aqueon heater keeping the temperature at 80 degrees.

Wayben
Great picture and a very cool looking beta!!

aussieJJDude
Nice find! Cant wait to see his tank once its all decked out!

DylanM
It's been 24 hours since I brought him home and he's eating blood worms, but not pellets yet. I'll try with garlic juice tommorow.

Adriifu
It's been 24 hours since I brought him home and he's eating blood worms, but not pellets yet. I'll try with garlic juice tommorow.
I can’t believe he was only five dollars.

DylanM
Well, I think I've hit the first bump, was just looking at him and notice a couple white spots on each of his fins, definitely ich. I've never treated it before but It seems to be nothing to freak out too much about, especially since he's in a self-contained system. What is a good, ich treatment that works? Visible on his tail in this photo:
SEJI5we.jpg
and this photo:

BCFmF8w.jpg

Adriifu
Raise the heat to around 86-87 degrees and use something like API Super Ick Cure.

DylanM
Raise the heat to around 86-87 degrees and use something like API Super Ick Cure.
Thanks, I made a new thread in freshwater fish disease for this. I'm going to get a couple more opinions then head to the petco near my house and pick up medication.

Adriifu
Thanks, I made a new thread in freshwater fish disease for this. I'm going to get a couple more opinions then head to the petco near my house and pick up medication.
All right. Good luck Remember to add an air stone to the tank with medication and heat. The oxygenation will be very low.

75g Discus Tank
Be careful with his fins with lava rock.

Try to sand down the sharpest parts.

DylanM
He's a plakat, much tougher than the long-fin bred varieties in terms of rough decorations. There are a few spots that concern me though.

wolfdog01
Yeah I'd still be careful with the rocks, I make my tanks betta proof so no matter what tailtype I have they will always be safe lol. Like baby proofing a tank, but on the inside.
When you do medicate I wouldn't worry about an airstone. Bettas take oxygen from the surface, not so much from the water.

Buganjimo
Also, aquascape when he’s healthy again, the ick will stick to stuff and its easier to clean up the old ones off the bottom in a bare bottom tank.

Sorry that was such a hard to follow post but hopefully you got the idea.

Small Tanks
When your scaping you tank try and include some kind of broad leaf, high plant (anubus has always worked for me). They like to roast in them, and rest closer to the surface.

75g Discus Tank
Hornwort is also a good floating plant for them.

wolfdog01
Be careful with hornwort though, I've heard that depending on the pH of your water the needles can turn into daggers and cut up their fins.

Wraithen
If you're going to use heat and salt, add the airstone. I kept a tank at 90 degrees for nearly a month and I credit the massive air and lowered tank level so the hob could make a big splash to the reason my fish lived.

Copper is a sure fire way to rid the tank of ick, but it isn't invert safe, and will stain every bit of silicone blue forever. A bag of cuprazorb will remove any leftover amount in the water eventually, but the stains never go away.

DylanM
Yeah I'd still be careful with the rocks, I make my tanks betta proof so no matter what tailtype I have they will always be safe lol. Like baby proofing a tank, but on the inside.
When you do medicate I wouldn't worry about an airstone. Bettas take oxygen from the surface, not so much from the water.
Alright, I'll be careful with the rocks. However, this ideas that bettas don't need oxygen is entirely not true. Bettas still get the majority of their oxygen from the water, and as you can see, they do have gills. If your betta is healthy you should be seeing regular gill movement. Actually, I'd say it's very important to add an air stone when treating for ich, as external parasites cause them to "yawn" (flush their gills) in an attempt to remove the parasite.

DylanM
Also, aquascape when he’s healthy again, the ick will stick to stuff and its easier to clean up the old ones off the bottom in a bare bottom tank.

Sorry that was such a hard to follow post but hopefully you got the idea.
Yeah, I definitely agree. I probably should have stated that the reason I went and spent 30 bucks on stuff to scape the tank is because I am seeing major signs of improvement after dosing with API super ick cure for 72 hours. All signs of ich in the state wher it is attached to the fish is gone, he is extremely active, he is no longer twitching or "bouncing" off the heater and filter intake, and he is eating 8 or so pellets a day very quickly after they ar dropped in his usual spot.

wolfdog01
I've never had to deal with ich and I always heard bettas never needed airstones, I know they take some oxygen from the water but things like high heat aren't really a bad thing for bettas in my opinion. I have a CO2 unit and I don't worry about my boy getting enough air because he takes it from the surface. My old betta never had a ton of gill movement when he got older and mainly laid in a log by the surface. Both of my bettas yawn every once and a while, I never heard it was to flush parasites. I'm going by my experience, I don't know how other fish are.

DylanM
If you're going to use heat and salt, add the airstone. I kept a tank at 90 degrees for nearly a month and I credit the massive air and lowered tank level so the hob could make a big splash to the reason my fish lived.

Copper is a sure fire way to rid the tank of ick, but it isn't invert safe, and will stain every bit of silicone blue forever. A bag of cuprazorb will remove any leftover amount in the water eventually, but the stains never go away.
Currently using heat, and super ick cure (salt and malachite green). No copper, I'm thinking of adding a colony of either orange bee or red crystals eventually. Or I might try some ember tetras. Want to leave my options open.

DylanM
I've never had to deal with ich and I always heard bettas never needed airstones, I know they take some oxygen from the water but things like high heat aren't really a bad thing for bettas in my opinion. I have a CO2 unit and I don't worry about my boy getting enough air because he takes it from the surface. My old betta never had a ton of gill movement when he got older and mainly laid in a log by the surface. Both of my bettas yawn every once and a while, I never heard it was to flush parasites. I'm going by my experience, I don't know how other fish are.
Hopefully you are doing co2 injection with live plants so that more oxygen can be produced, correct? Also my betta is very active, and definitely needs the air stone during these meds.

wolfdog01
Yep, it's a DIY unit too. I'm using it to give my Anacharis a boost, it has really helped out a lot.
Maybe I never really needed an airstone because I have an HOB filter? I've heard over and over again that airstones were pretty useless with bettas and gouramis and stuff. I guess if the oxygen gets super low then you would have to use it. Wonder if an HOB would be enough though?

Wraithen
The malachite green will also stain stuff. It's not nearly on the same level as copper though.

DylanM co2 injection doesn't actually net any extra o2 in a tank. The co2 comes on and increases available carbon for the plants in the day, and at night, the plants use o2. All in all, co2 injection will keep o2 levels lower if the water is at gas saturation.

DylanM
Yep, it's a DIY unit too. I'm using it to give my Anacharis a boost, it has really helped out a lot.
Maybe I never really needed an airstone because I have an HOB filter? I've heard over and over again that airstones were pretty useless with bettas and gouramis and stuff. I guess if the oxygen gets super low then you would have to use it. Wonder if an HOB would be enough though?
Cool, if you look at the last picture I posted you can see my DIY co2 for my 20 gallon. To clarify, the air stone will only be in while the tank is at 86 degrees in order to make sure the water is breathable, after that's done I'm removing it.

wolfdog01
So if the temp gets like....85 or above you would recommend an airstone? I want to get this right in case I can help someone with this lol

DylanM
The malachite green will also stain stuff. It's not nearly on the same level as copper though.

DylanM co2 injection doesn't actually net any extra o2 in a tank. The co2 comes on and increases available carbon for the plants in the day, and at night, the plants use o2. All in all, co2 injection will keep o2 levels lower if the water is at gas saturation.
Very interesting, I always assumed that with healthy plants it would overall increase oxygen in the dank. Seeing my plants pearl on a regular basis increased this assumption.

Wraithen
The airstones real purpose lies in when the bubbles break the surface of the water. A hob does keep a lot of gas exchange going, the airstone will increase it significantly. One of the great benefits of sponge filters.

Labyrinth fish breathing air isn't a good thing to see unless it is done infrequently. Like pleco farts. Every once in a while is fine, several times an hour is an indication of a problem.

DylanM
So if the temp gets like....85 or above you would recommend an airstone? I want to get this right in case I can help someone with this lol
I'm not completely sure the exact cut off but I'd say you should probably be using one at over 84.

wolfdog01
Oh, I didn't keep track of how often my old betta took surface breathes and I have no idea how often my new betta does. Interesting thing to think about.

DylanM
It's been a week since I started medicating, over the past 3 days I've removed all the medication and turned the heat down to 82. Sanded the lava rocks too and ended up getting my counter covered in black dust. But the betta is happy and the tank looks nice

IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG
I'll get a nicer photo of him in the hardscape when I have time.

DylanM
Here we go, this took ages to get, he really doesn't like to flare when I'm near the tank, and when he does he's hidding from me behind the rocks and all I can see is his puffed up reflection.

IMG_1768.JPG

Dch48
He is a pretty little guy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JB92668
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views