Best betta foods Question

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Can anyone give me a type of betta pellet that's actually good for bettas. Also is it true that ghost shrimp and bettas are not good tankmates.

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I feed my bettas NLS betta pellets and they go NUTS for them. They're the best I've found, nutrition-wise, to be honest.

As far as ghost shrimp and bettas...ghost shrimp are incredibly opportunistic. They will feed on anything they think would make a good meal. I had five in a 5gal bowfront with a male halfmoon betta. Within 48 hours, they completely decimated the betta's fins. He literally had NO fins left. He ended up dying from complications due to his injuries. I tossed two of the ghost shrimp into my 29gal semi-aggressive tank where they were promptly eaten by my South American bumblebee catfish and my tiger barbs. The other three I threw into my 55gal tropical tank. The three in my 55gal thrived and multiplied. At feeding time, EVERYONE gave them a wide berth, including my 6" adult featherfin catfish, my 5.5" adult male bristlenose pleco and the 5" adult male angelfish that I had at the time.

So yeah, I would say bettas and ghost shrimp absolutely DO NOT mix.

3. Gamer Well Known Member Member

As far as food I have had my 6 bettas on Tetra BettaMin and Wardley Betta Food. The Wardley brand is pellets which I've been told are a little on the large size and might get caught in smaller bettas throats. Don't want that so I pre-soak them to where they soften, expand and break up into several crumbs by the time I feed them to the bettas. Those 2 are staple foods I feed daily.

Others I feel a few times a week are frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Since they are carnivore I give these to them more than a once a week treat.

They also get regular Wardley tropical flake and Kens veggie flakes which are meant for their tank mates (they live in a community tank and the others need more than meaty and betta formula foods).

I am looking into Omega One and New Life Spectrum brands, probably will try those, as well as krill and earthworm to see how they take to them.

But so far they live on BettaMine, Betta Food by Wardley, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Last 3 are all pre-soaked, the first is flake food.

4. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello!

I feed my Betta Omega One Buffet Pellets (he LOVES these) and Tetramin flakes (community tank food).

Soon I'm going to try frozen bloodworms.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

NLS thera A, and shrimp are good tank mates for a betta... doesn't mean the betta is a good tank mate for the shrimp ;) But fish eat shrimp, so that's just life.

6. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks is there any type of shrimp that won't eat their fins preferably a larger type.

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Ghost shrimp have the potention to become aggressive and shred the betta's fins. I have RCS with one of my bettas with no issue.

As for food, I feed mine frozen bloodworms, frozen krill and NLS. Also, one of my bettas has devolved a taste for frog pellets...

Feeding frozen foods adds a nice bit of nutrition to their diet and I highly recommend it. Frozen bloodworms is by far better than freeze dried.

8. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay I will have to find those nls betta pellets. Also I already have frozen bloodworms so I can feed those twice a week and the other days pellets. Is there any larger type of shrimp that will work like something over 3 inches I have no idea of species that are large and work.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had never had a problem with ghost shrimp going after the betta :;dk

Get a dwarf crayfish - just make sure that the crayfish has a cave too small for the betta to get into or the betta will eat the crayfish when it molts.

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Um...id be worried about the cray destroying the betta jmo. As far as a safe large shrimp, why has no one mentioned bamboo or amano? Both of which are larger the most bettas will bother with, but also wont bother the betta.

I feed Attisons, Attisons pro, NLS, Kens bettta Krumbles, and HBH betta bites. I also feed frozen bloodworms, blackworms, brineshrimp, and a variety pack aswell as the occasional ghost shrimp.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think bamboo shrimp would be a good idea at all! They need a big tank with a current in order to filter feed!

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Having kept them together, I can assure you that the threat is the other way around. I know there is a knee jerk reaction associated with crayfish and fish, but until you've kept them, you just can't appreciate how harmless the dwarf crayfish are.

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah i came across your thread via google/bing and yahoo. Nice XD. And we are positive there were no little cray bodies around the tank? It just makes me cautious, i relize the are more bottom feeder then active hunter but some bettas are just too impassive for their own good.

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had gone through a few crays before I realized what was happening. It's not hard to look for something in an unplanted 5 gallon tank :)

15. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Where can you find dwarf crayfish and are they safe to be with other bottom feeders like kuhli loaches. Also I thought bamboo shrimp ate algae and other foods.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

bamboo shrimp are filter feeders. I would think you could feed the shrimp like you'd feed anything else - I have read that they will set up shop on the filter intake.

dwarf crays are available on aquabid. There are two kinds - cajuns and CPOs. I would not hesitate to have it with bottom dwellers. They are also plant safe and don't dig, unlike their larger cousins. They really aren't alike at all.

17. josh7 Well Known Member Member

So jaysee could I possibly get 1 bamboo shrimp then since they could filter feed on the filter this would be in a 10 gallon I want to do a stocking of

1 male betta
    1 bamboo shrimp
    5 kuhli loaches

What are your thoughts though on the kuhlis everywhere I have seen a 20 inch tank is fine for them.

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've told you all I know about them :) My guess is that in a 10 you would have to feed often.

Kuhli loaches need a minimum of a 30 inch tank, and need a larger school in order for them to feel comfortable to be active in the tank. There are not many fish that are suitable to be bottom feeders in a 10 gallon.

19. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay then thanks for your help will look for probably just shrimp for the bottom. Also the only betta pellets I can find that seem hesitate the omega one betta buffet pellets will these be fine for bettas instead if the nls type.

20. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The only fish i would reccomend for the bottom of a 10 is pygmy cory. Kuhli need something a tad bigger.