Best Betta food?

Aurorafishy

Hi there,

Currently setting up for a betta, and was wondering on which food is best for betta. I’m trying to stay away from flakes. There are pellets, freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms, etc. Am I suppose to get a variety, or just one, which Ones? And any good brand? Sorry if I seem confusing, I’ve just seen a lot of people feeding variety and a lot feeding just one, and got very confused, since everyone seems to feed different things. :)

Thanks!

e_watson09

The only pellet I feed is New Life Spectrum but I primarily feed frozen foods. The highest quality pellet you can get the better. Bettas do not do well with a bunch of filler as they're prone to bloat and constipation

Aurorafishy

e_watson09 said:
The only pellet I feed is New Life Spectrum but I primarily feed frozen foods. The highest quality pellet you can get the better. Bettas do not do well with a bunch of filler as they're prone to bloat and constipation
Oh okay! What brands of frozen food?

PaprikaFish

I used Omega One Betta Buffet and it works wonders for me. I used to have the TopFin ones (had to get them as they were the only ones at the time) and Paprika was CONSTANTLY constipated. Those pellets were so bad it was almost funny :p Now I feed Betta Buffet pellets as a staple, along with frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp, both of them are also the Omega One brand. There are lots of other foods, these are the ones that I use and like. Pretty soon your betta will be eating better than you are ;)

wolfdog01

I use Fluval Bug bites for bettas and frozen Freshwater frenzy nearly everyday. Some Sundays I fast and others I give him a couple of freeze dried bloodworms.

qldmick

This one right here,

nls probiotix reg2.png

imba

I also personally use new life spectrum as a staple and rotate some freeze dried and frozen food in between. I use the NLS Betta formula, but I only feed once every 2 days for a mature betta

Courtenay

e_watson09

Aurorafishy said:
Oh okay! What brands of frozen food?
If you're doing frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc I really haven't noticed a big difference in quality. If you're talking gel foods that's a different story but I don't really like those for my bettas. I want to say I'm feeding sanfrancisco bay or something like that to my guys. I buy big flat packs and break them up as I feed them.

StarGirl

How many pellets and brine shrimps do you all feed? I gave her like 5 shrimp bits. Is this enough? I feed her bug bite granules 3 or 4 pieces soaked in water. Is this the same as the pellets you think? I just got her Tuesday and have no clue. I don't want to over or under feed her ;)

ValkyrieLips

StarGirl said:
How many pellets and brine shrimps do you all feed? I gave her like 5 shrimp bits. Is this enough? I feed her bug bite granules 3 or 4 pieces soaked in water. Is this the same as the pellets you think? I just got her Tuesday and have no clue. I don't want to over or under feed her ;)
Imo it's trial and error to find the right portion sizes based on the fish and activity level and if you feed once or twice a day. How I usually tell he's had a good amount is when his stomach gets *slightly* distended/bigger after. Another thing to look for is that their stomach has gone back to normal size by their next feeding time.

StarGirl

She is only about a inch long. Not very big at all.

Subhro

I feed my betta Australian Black worms. It has a combination of black worms, spirulina and spinach. Also, I feed hikari micro pellets. Brings out really good colors in my betta.

Fisch

Frozen food Hikari is a good one. Daphnia, brine shrimp, brine shrimp with spirulina, blood worms. Trial and error is the fact, Bettas are very individual. My bettas spit out any dry food. The male swims miles for bloodworms, the females favorite is spirulina brine shrimp.
They will let you know, and most likely you will give away many of your trial foods ;)
Variety is the ticket.

StarGirl

So far she has eaten everything I have given her. A BB Flake (soaked) Bug bite granules (soaked) frozen Bloodworms and Brine shrimp. She definitely is not picky. She seems like she wants more every time though.

Magnus919

Have you considered culturing daphnia yet? In the wild, most of what's going to be available to the betta would be small, live foods that thrive in standing water. Think bugs, zooplankton, mosquito larvae, etc. Live daphnia are especially nice, because you can feed them nutritious foods and making them more accessible to the betta. They are very water-stable (what isn't eaten stays alive until it's eaten or filtered, basically). And they give the betta something to hunt.

Fisch

StarGirl said:
So far she has eaten everything I have given her. A BB Flake (soaked) Bug bite granules (soaked) frozen Bloodworms and Brine shrimp. She definitely is not picky. She seems like she wants more every time though.
She has to grow :)

Katie Dawn

Hi Aurora!
As others have said, a variety is good. I usually give New Life Spectrum pellets or occasionally Hikari Gold pellets each morning. At night I feed either frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, or Fluval big bites. However, I accumulated all those options over a period of several months. I know there are several purchases to be made when you start a tank, so don't feel like you have to get a bunch of food options immediately. Maybe a good quality pellet plus one other choice? I only had NLS pellets for quite awhile before I learned they like a variety and my fish did fine during that time.

Top Bottom