Best Betta food?

newclassic1

Hey guys,

So I got a new Black Orchid Crowntail betta. 2 days ago. He's currently homed in a 3.5g heated tank which I've opted to cycle with him in there. Keeping a close eye on parameters and water changes!! He's only about an inch long at moment so I believe quite young?

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on what people feed their Betta fish.

Currently, I have a tub of King British dried bloodworms and Fluval Vegetable fish flakes (green tub). I've included photos of both.

Reading a lot of opinions online of what and what not to feed him. I just want the best for the little guy as he's young now and want him to grow healthy.

Cheers!

Attachments

neverenoughgallons

If the food is bigger than the head the fish will have a hard time swallowing. I cant tell the size of the worms judging by the depth perception of the picture. Might want to cut the worm in half or 3 quarters. They are carnivores so the worms are good. Find a decent brand of fortified food pellet. The vegetable flake would be like feeding meat to a vegetarian and they didnt even know... Some fiber (greens) are good, tho. Id say maybe a few flakes a week. Besides that they are strictly protein. Even the vegetarians need fiber.

OP
newclassic1

newclassic1

neverenoughgallons said:
If the food is bigger than the head the fish will have a hard time swallowing. I cant tell the size of the worms judging by the depth perception of the picture. Might want to cut the worm in half or 3 quarters. They are carnivores so the worms are good. Find a decent brand of fortified food pellet. The vegetable flake would be like feeding meat to a vegetarian and they didnt even know... Some fiber (greens) are good, tho. Id say maybe a few flakes a week. Besides that they are strictly protein. Even the vegetarians need fiber.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah i was a bit skeptical about the vegetarian flakes as I had read that bettas are carnivores. Veg flakes once a week should do it then. I noticed he struggles with the longer length bloodworms so i guess i should cut them up smaller so he can digest.

Any suggestions on good pellet type food?

Thanks

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
neverenoughgallons said:
I have a question about the bug bites. Are they difficult to handle and keep? In my experience they always got loose. Like the flyless fruit flies, they can still jump.
Bug bites are an inanimate object...?

BluMan1914

Well Known
neverenoughgallons said:
I have a question about the bug bites. Are they difficult to handle and keep? In my experience they always got loose. Like the flyless fruit flies, they can still jump.
Very easy to handle, and store.
Jist give them a couple of pieces. They are very small in size.

BluMan1914

Well Known
neverenoughgallons said:
One more thing I forgot to mention. Bug Bites is a dried food, pellet like.

OP
newclassic1

newclassic1

BluMan1914 said:
One more thing I forgot to mention. Bug Bites is a dried food, pellet like.
Going to look into getting those. They're on Amazon. Not too expensive for a decent sized bag

OP
newclassic1

newclassic1

imba said:
I recommend new life spectrum Betta pellets and maybe also frozen daphnia if possible. Both of these plus the flakes and bloodworms you already have makes a good diet rotation
Cool. I shall check this out great helpful advice as usual from the fishlore members

New Threads