Best bet?

1. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Looking for more filtration ... I'd like to keep it under $100 for now and am limited to 12.5-13" wide because of a support bar, thus making the Marineland Emperor 400 I bought way too big!

I've sort of narrowed it down to these two ... thoughts on the better deal or recommendations on a better filter ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I've got the HOB. It's silent, and seems to do its job. The cannister has a good rep, but the one I had leaked for no apparent reason. Plus I didn't like the hoses.

3. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Thanks for the reply. How different is canister setup? I've only ever had HOB. Do you think one style does a better job than the other?

4. maggie thecat

I never got the cannister functional. I would say that it held more media. That was outweighed by difficulty to access, (underneath in the cabinet vs, using a stepstool and leaning over the tank.)

Loads of people have cannister filters, and in theory I see the attraction. But my experience wasn't a positive one,, so I'm probably biased.

5. maggie thecat

I never got the cannister functional. I would say that it held more media. That was outweighed by difficulty to access, (underneath in the cabinet vs, using a stepstool and leaning over the tank.)

Loads of people have cannister filters, and in theory I see the attraction. But my experience wasn't a positive one,, so I'm probably biased.

6. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I run canister / HOB set ups on all my larger tanks. My canisters help turn over large quantities of water while the HOB acts like a vacuum catching most of the waste.

7. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Oh that's a good idea! I may do that. I'm needing more filtration on both tanks. I was planning to move my Penguin 200 over to my 20 gal and put the canister on the 38 gal. But now I may just exchange the 150, that hasn't worked right since I got it, for a 200 ... or I might just keep the 400 I bought the other day (that didn't fit the space I have on my 38 gal) and take the 150 back for credit.