Best Beginner Cichlids

fishaholic87

I’m looking to get into cichlids with a 60 gallon tank please keep in mind it’s 2 29 gallons connect with 2 1 gallon tubes what cichlids could a beginner breed in it

AquaticJ

Convicts if you wanna easily breed cichlids.

fishaholic87

Thanks any other suggestions? I’ve read convicts don’t sell/can’t get rid of them

AquaticJ

Well I suppose you could try Peacock Cichlids, but they’re not as easy to breed as Convicts. You’re right, if you’re breeding for profit then you’re gunna have to go after more difficult fish. Anything catch your eye?

fishaholic87

Thanks for the suggestions. And I just set up a kenya gold tank

AquaticJ

Right on. Those are pretty cool.

fishaholic87

Thanks for the peacock cichlids what food do you need for conditioning them?

TheWalkman

Would like to see what the tank connected with tubes looks like!
If I remember correctly firemouth cichlids aren't that difficult to breed. Just added one to my tank and he is beautiful!

snowballPLECO

TheWalkman said:
Would like to see what the tank connected with tubes looks like!
If I remember correctly firemouth cichlids aren't that difficult to breed. Just added one to my tank and he is beautiful!

Firemouths can be tough to breed, I personally have a breeding pair but firemouths imo aren’t starter cichlids, they can be very aggressice depends on who their tank mates are and heirarchy. Took my firemouths a good while to finally breed

Breeding for money isn’t that easy, if you wanted some serious money you’d want Discus or Flowerhorn IMO. Flowerhorn fry and discus fry are lucrative but Discus aren’t beginner fish and flowerhorns aren’t really either but any “beginner cichlid” won’t net you a lot of money. You’d need to get into fish that aren’t readily available in your area. You could always breed Angelfish

fishaholic87

I’m under 18 and just looking for something cool to do in my 11th tank money would be a bonus considering I operate on a 5 a week allowance but I just want to have fun

yukondog

I like using live food, frozen brine or bloodworms, for conditioning my cichlids.

What about kribs there easy to breed.

jdhef

fishaholic87 said:
I’m under 18 and just looking for something cool to do in my 11th tank money would be a bonus considering I operate on a 5 a week allowance but I just want to have fun
Hmmm...oddly your aquarium profile says you are 22 years old. So how old are you?

penguin02

And $5 a week isn’t enough for 11 tanks unless you’ve been saving since birth

I’d like to see tank pics as well! How did you do the tube thing?

fishaholic87

I got the tank from my fish club president and I get money every birthday and Christmas 6 are from that rest are free from club members and to the age thing under 18 but some websites don’t let you use it unless a Adult so I’m 22 on 98 percent of the sites I’m on

The 5 a week allowance buys the fish

So I don’t know how the tank was made but can get a pic if I can figure out how do put it on the website of my phone

And actually if you do the math it is a 10 gallon with everything set up is 70 dollars at my fish store that’s 70/5 is 14 weeks

Michaelk22

Bolivian rams would be good. They are friendly, good for beginners, and interactive. Although putting them with larger, more aggressive cichlids wouldn’t be compatible.

jdhef

You can be under 18 and be a member of FishLore. So come on, don't be vain how old are you?

fishaholic87

Under 18 my mom. Doesn’t let me be more specific she’s paranoid

AquaticJ

Ironically, you have better grammar than a lot of people on here.

jdhef is stranger danger lol (not really he’s a nice guy)

Anyway, I think a lot of people have given some good suggestions for you.

fishaholic87

Haha my L.A teacher would be horrified if her c- student had better grammar then most and yeah thanks to everyone who suggested fish!

Hunter1

Considering the angelfish recommendation?

fishaholic87

Yes and no I kinda want one that displays parental skills and from what I’ve read they lost it due to being in bred so much and the ones that still have it are expensive

Demeter

African cichlids and discus are your best bet in seeing some parental skills. I'd personally look into shell dwelling African cichlids as well.

Mcasella

fishaholic87 said:
Yes and no I kinda want one that displays parental skills and from what I’ve read they lost it due to being in bred so much and the ones that still have it are expensive
They have lost it from not being allowed to parent, the ones that are more expensive the owners are more likely to pull the fish because the fry are more valuable to just go ahead and pull over wasting time by letting the parents raise them for a while - you can make efforts to get the parents to raise them by letting them fail a couple spawns and learn they need to care for them.
You can try dwarf cichlids like apistos, you can have most of the fry raised up and produce a colony of them with one pair.

fishaholic87

Thanks I’ve already set up a brevis tank

Willed

fishaholic87 said:
Thanks I’ve already set up a brevis tank
So you’re saying this is your 11th tank? And you have some cichlids. What kinds of fish/cichlids do you already have, it would help with our recommendations.

fishaholic87

I don’t have any yet the tanks are cycling but have a brevis and keyna good tank

Willed

So you are setting up 9 tanks at once?

fishaholic87

Oh all fish not cichlids ok I have a 40 community and a 29 community a 29 Endler tank a 10 gallon shrimp tank a 1 gallon shrimp tank a 5 fry tank a ten gallon goodeid and a ten whitecloud tank

Willed

fishaholic87 said:
Oh ok, I misunderstood then. I’m really happy with my pair of German blue rams I got, but they do have a reputation for being rather sensitive and prefer warmer water temps 82-85. It doesn’t sound like you’d have trouble with them at all though, and I don’t think they are difficult to breed. Not sure on their parental behavior but I have seen a YouTube video of a male ram protecting his fry. They are more attractive IMO than a Bolivian ram.

Edit: oh ok I see, thanks for giving that info

I should add they may be more of a “community” cichlid. You may want an african cichlid only tank with a few species perhaps? Not sure, out of my depth here.

TheWalkman

Demeter said:
African cichlids and discus are your best bet in seeing some parental skills. I'd personally look into shell dwelling African cichlids as well.
I hear shell dwellers are pretty easy to breed. But are so small I think they would be a waste of a 60 gallon.
Would love to raise some one day though.

fishaholic87

N brevis is one I set a tank up for

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom