Best "beginner" Apisto for 20 gallon long?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by freshwaterfanatic, Jun 23, 2016.

1. freshwaterfanatic

freshwaterfanatic New Member Member

So after a trip to my LFS, the many different Apisto species caught my eye. I decided that some sort of Apisto specie would be a cool centerpiece fish for my 20 long. I would like to have a pair or trio (whichever is best) of a fairly hardy Apisto so serve as my main fella's in the tank, aswell as 7-11 dither fish (probably harlequin rasbora).
    My tank is fairly densely planted -plastic not real :)- aswell as having a couple ceramic caves and a nice tangly piece of driftwood. Tank has pea sized gravel with an AC50 and a small airstone.

Apologies for my awful writing format, I guess my main questions are: what type of Apisto would be a nice fit for my tank? and Is a trio or pair better, or more natural? Thanks :)

0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    10-20 nitrate
    7.6 pH
    fairly neutral hardness

[​IMG]
    here's a photo of my tank if this helps (don't mind the Rams, they won't be in there)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  2. a

axel Well Known Member Member

a school of rasbora would be good ,6-10 schools

3. Graphix

Graphix Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure how much difference there is in hardiness/care of different types of Apistos, my impression from my (admittedly very small) knowledge of them is that they're all quite similar when it comes to their care.

I say just pick one you like, personally I've always wanted Apistogramma Borelli because of the extremely long dorsal fin! Best of luck :)

4. OP
    OP
    freshwaterfanatic

freshwaterfanatic New Member Member

Thanks for the input! I think I'll either go with the Borelli you were talking about, or the cacatuides.

Does anybody know if a. borellii prefer pairs or harems?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice