Best Bag For Bulk Purigen?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Jamieson22, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Jamieson22

Jamieson22Well Known MemberMember

I generally run 250ml of Purigen in my filter so had bought two bottles of it so I can easily replace during filter change and have next round recharged and ready.

One bottle I put in Boyd's Chemi-Bags. While rinsing after 2nd recharge the bag tore. These are nice as they are $2.xx each but any tear in bag will send Purigen all over tank.
    Amazon.com : Boyd Enterprises ABE16720 2-Pack Chemi-Bags with Ties for Aquarium : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies

The other bottle I had put in Seachem The Bag but don't have any idea on longevity as I JUST bagged it. I do think the cost is a bit much at $8.xx per.
    Amazon.com : Seachem The Bag Filter Media Bag : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies

To be honest, if The Bag is best choice I am better buying 3 x 100ml pre-bagged Purigen for $8.xx each rather than saving by buying in bulk.

Any alternates? Purigen is pretty small so not all bags contain it well.

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I just bought 2 100ml pre bagged myself rather then having to worry about bagging it.

As you said its way too small to have to worry about it excaping the bag and going throughout the tank.

3. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Do not use pantyhose the Purigen will leak out. The best filter bag I found and use is the Weco brand media bag. I have been using it for a long time now and I even throw it in when recharging my Purigen in bleach and the bag is still going strong.

You can get a drawstring one or the zipper one. I use the zipper one. I also forgot to mention to get the fine mesh size. And I saw some on Amazon for over $10.00 DO NOT buy it at that price. I got mines from my LFS for around $5.00. Try and look around and this is what they look like.....

4. OP
    OP
    Jamieson22

Jamieson22Well Known MemberMember

Thanks will keep an eye out for these!

I have noticed Amazon being over-priced on al lot of aquarium stuff. Ken's or DFS tends to be best, often by 50% or more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice