Best Aquascaping Plants For Neon Tetras And Guppies.

1. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

Hi folks,

I previously got DHG and Ludwigia sp mini. But due to poor lighting and No CO2 I almost killed them. Now i got everything good to go -7500k Top light, Liquid CO2(Flourish Excel), Ferts etc. Now my DHG is shooting up and Ludwigias are turning red, I hope that's a very good sign for plants growth.

Now i want to add few more plants to my Aquascape. Right now I only have few guppies but started this tank for neon tetras. Before introducing neon tetras I want to give a good ambience to neon culture. I'm not sure about which plants to be opted for the little ones.
    So someone please help me in selecting the right plants. I gotta 6 Gallon tank with Hang On Water Filter.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

Unfortunately, 6g is too small to house neon tetras. How many guppies do you have? Sounds like you are already overstocked as is.

4. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

4 guppies -> 3 female and 1 male.
    I'm going to transfer them to another tank.
    I've added them only to start the nitrogen cycle.

5. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

You'll likely find that the majority of plants that scale well with smaller species like neon tetras will either not grow, or not grow in the way you're expecting them to if you've seen them in other tanks that run strong light + Co2 injection. With that said, the addition of excel can be a good thing if dosing is done every day, but if the lights aren't adequate you may find a plant like dwarf hair grass won't carpet, and reds in a plant like ludwigia sp. mini are more rusted-brown.

Some plants I think scale well with neon tetras are Rotala 'Green', Christmas Moss, Anubias nana petite, Anubias nana, Java Fern 'Needle Leaf'. All of these are capable of growth under less intense light and no additional Co2 in most cases.

6. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Oh yeah! And this ^^ and -

- this ^^ are going to be a problem for you in the future. Neon tetras are very susceptible to the fluctuations in water parameters seen in newer tanks, and are often best added to a tank after it has become well-established for a few months, and the biological filtration is more than adequate. Adding 5+ neon tetras to a new 6g tank that actually only holds 4g after the sand and decor and stuff goes into it likely won't end well for both the fish and your experience with them. It's doubtful you'll be able to do enough W/C to keep the levels stable enough and still be able to outside for the next 2-4 weeks in a new tank this size.:dead:

7. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

Thanks for your precious experience. :)
    Your experience really matters.
    My tank is 2½ months old and What is W/C?

8. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

W/C = Water Changes

2 1/2 months is still fairly new, although more stable than one that was still cycling, which is kind of how I interpreted your previous post. The problem with neon tetras in a tank that small is the limited water volume. They need to be in groups of 5 (more is much better) and have enough space to swim. You won't see them school because, honestly, there just enough room, like four guys trying to walk side-by-side down a 4ft wide hallway. Because neons are typically more sensitive, the lack of total water volume means that even stable perimeters can change rapidly in the span of 12-24 hours. All of this eventually creates health issues, either to their behavior or physical health, and you end up with an unhealthy stocked tank. Unhealthy fish in a planted tank leads to unhealthy plants in a round about way, just as a tank full of unhealthy and decaying plants eventually makes fish unhealthy. It's the mutual promotion of a healthy balance of both that leads to success and a more fulfilling experience in this hobby.

I won't tell you not to, but you could and probably should at least look into other stocking options more suited for such a small tank and save the idea of neons for a tank in the 20G + area. I can promise it'll be a much more worthwhile experience with far less health issues. In larger tanks where you can stock 10-15+ neons school often and it's much nicer than 5 twitchy/nervous neons in a 6G tank all spaced 2 1/2 inches apart and only really moving when it comes to feeding time.

6g tanks can be cool red cherry shrimp, betta tanks. There are other options too, but I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

9. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

Thank you.
    I'll go with guppy then. :sorry:

10. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Eek.... sorry to chime in, but the guppies won't do well in the six gallon either, especially with 1m and 3f... for them I would also recommend a 20long (same as the neons). Either way you are about to be overrun with fry. 3 males in a ten gallon would be pushing it, but doable. Endlers would be better then the guppies for a ten, neither are great for a six. Unfortunately you are pretty limited to a betta or shrimp tank, maybe a few others I'm not thinking of. I believe @-Mak- has the same tank, maybe she can help more with stocking. Plus there is always @Texas Domer our stocking expert :)

Totally agree with @Silister Trench plant choices, but wanted to add for a six gallon you could also add a crypt wendtii for your centerpiece (would be similar to a sword in a 29gallon) and still remain relatively easy to grow. Heteranthera zosterfolia (star grass) would also be an option if your other plants are doing well. I have some growing behind alternanthera 'mini' and it looks amazing against the red.

11. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

I'm going to just assume you're right about the guppy situation, since I'm certain you know much more about them than I do, Jocelyn. Cryptocryne Wendtii is an easier plant, and definitely would be a great centerpiece that fills plenty of empty space without outgrowing a 6G. Good addition!

12. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Eeep sorry I don't have a 6 gallon tank, my current largest is a whopping 3 gallons :p I dwell in nano tanks, for now.

However! Due to my limited water volume and not so limited desire for fish other than bettas, I've looked into this a lot lol. My best recommendation for you would be a nano rasbora species, such as chili rasboras or exclamation mark rasboras. Celestial pearl danios are also a popular choice. Don't get rasboras like harlequin rasboras, they get too big and active.
    Of course shrimp are always a good option for nano tanks.

For a lot more nano fish info, check out Rachel O'Leary on YouTube.

13. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

Shrimps!!! I'm not sure about keeping them. I've always heard from LFS that they die in our region because of the temperature. I live in New Delhi.

14. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

They
    They look too big for my tank.

15. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

Are guppies and endlers are different species? I got 1 male endler and 3 female guppies.

16. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Yes and no. They can become nice and bushy, but when Jacelyn said as a centerpiece she's meaning that the plant is supposed to overtake a portion of the tank, draw the eye, become the main plant you focus on when you look. There are many approaches to planted tanks and aquascaping, but often you can look at the majority of them and see that, while there is a variety of plants, one plant is meant to be looked at most: the centerpiece.

Edit: For the most part crypt wendtii doesn't grow fast enough to become too big for smaller tanks like a 6G unless you neglect to trim it and let it.

17. Vijay Raj R Initiate Member

I'll keep that in mind.

18. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Guppies and endlers are different species, but they can reproduce and produce hybrids. Guppies can also mate with mollies. Endlers tend to be a bit smaller then guppies.