Best Aquarium To House Betta Fish? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by FishSplash01, Jul 11, 2019.

1. FishSplash01

FishSplash01New MemberMember

Hello, I wanted to buy a second aquarium solely for a Betta fish. I have done some research and was thinking about MarineLand 5 Gallon Portrait Glass Aquarium Kit. I don't necessarily have a budget and would like a tank that a Betta fish can thrive in. Is this tank sufficient or is there a better one?

2. Wolf010

Wolf010Valued MemberMember

I would recommend at least 10 gallon for a Betta. With 5 gallon, u r scraping the bare minimum. U want your Betta to be happy, not just surviving. :)

Also make sure it's well planted and have some floating plants, Betta likes the cover.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
  3. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

I've got mine in a 7 but I wouldn't go lower, it's well planted and he's with CPDs and RCS.

4. Wolf010

I have heard that shrimps occasionally become food for the Bettas, so I would see how the betta reacts before putting in shrimp. Some mind them, some don't.

5. OP
    OP
    FishSplash01

Do you have an aquarium kit?

6. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

"Aquadistri Home 25 Aquarium" if that's what you meant, 6.6 Gallons.

7. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I would say 2.5 gallons is the minimum and 5 is all you'll ever need. Mine is in a planted 3.5 and is doing well after 15 months.

8. Wolf010

Well I guess if u r following the an inch a gallon rule for fish, a 2.5 gallon tanks is enough for a 1.5 inch Betta, but personally I think my Betta would be more happy with more swimming space, therefore I side with those that say 5 gallon is a minimum.

9. Hondacivic

HondacivicWell Known MemberMember

10. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

He doesn't get a vote. Lol.

11. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

2.5 gallons is the BARE minimum that would be needed to keep your betta healthy. In anything smaller there is too much risk of fluctuations and the fish would have hardly any room.
    3 gallons IMO is the minimum to keep a betta happy and stimulated. In anything smaller there isn’t much to interact with. However this also depends on the betta. This is the bare minimum for keeping your betta with a snail. Shrimp are not recommended because they will be stressed from the lack of room to feel they are secure from the betta.
    5 gallons is the minimum amount can find as a readily available starter kit. Also in smaller tanks finding a filter that is effective without having too much flow is difficult. Even a sponge filter produces current in such a small space. This is the bare minimum for keeping shrimp with a betta, though positive results are not a gurantee.
    10 gallons is the minimum for keeping fish as tankmates with a betta, and good results are not guranteed.

I currently have a betta in a 3ishg (trying to upgrade him to a 5g) and another in a 10g. The one in the 10g is much happier, and has shown sharper cognitive ability. The other one also seems happy, but will often become bored. Also having that tank planted is challenging because any decaying leaves are instantly problematic

12. OP
    OP
    FishSplash01

I don't intend to have any shrimps or tankmates for the Marineland 5 Gallon. I would like to buy an aquarium kit like Marineland's so if there is a better, bigger gallon aquarium kit you know, please recommend.

13. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

They have kits up into the 75 gallon range but I wouldn't imagine you want to go quite that big for a single betta. It would be the happiest betta on the planet though. Lol

14. Elle2128

Elle2128Valued MemberMember

I have had two betta tanks, a 10 gallon and a 5. My 10 has been perfect and lovely and my betta grew huge with the size, and my 5 has had troubles that I can't even figure out why, and in general feels too small. I am now upgrading the 5 gallon to a 20 long, and going am to be adding some buddies. Personally, I'll never go less than a 10 gallon for bettas now that I have experience with both.

15. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A great all in one kit for is the Aqueon Aqua Spring 8.8 ( i think they also make an 11 gallon ) it has the built in light and waterfall feature for low flow which bettas prefer and even witht he basic led's under the waterfall i've been able to grow 2 large swords and some bacopa using root tabs and Nilog Thrive along with wc's every 5-7 days. I also have another betta in a heavily planted 5.5 with 5 Ember Tetras and an AC20 and everyone is doing great!

Attached Files:

16. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

Fluval edge (6g)
    Fluval Chi (5.5g)
    Top fin 10
    Top fin 20
    Fluval FLEX (15g or 9g)
    Fluval Vista (8.5g)
    BiOrb flow (8g)
    Aqueon 15
    Aqueon Aqua Springs (8.8g)
    Aqua Culture 6.5
    Top Fin Imagine (5g)
    Marineland Biowheel (20g)
    Fluval Spec V (16g or 5g)

17. CindyVBPets

CindyVBPetsValued MemberMember

That's a nice tank. I just went through this and ordered a different one two days ago....so I'll share my thoughts and why I chose this Penn Plax 7.5 gallon Radius (but it also comes in 5 and 10 gal. Same price point-ish.

Caveat I don't have it yet! Just my rational for choosing what I chose.

The fish in my icon is in a 20L because I wanted to do a heavily planted blackwater tank. This "new" one I just ordered is for another fish in my kitchen. He's in a 5.5 and the footprint for the 7.7 isn't much bigger and still fits on my kitchen desk.

Remember your old school 5.5 gallon is LONG (side to side) versus TALL.

The Marineland is TALL.

The Marineland reminds me of the Fluval Spec with the filtration built INTO a partition inside THE TANK which sounds good at first, BUT it takes up space from the fish's water swimming allowance. You can see it in one of the photos on Amazon on the link below.

Petsmart has a knock off and it's the same. A 5 gallon that actually only gives the fish around 3-4 gallons to swim in. I bought that one and returned it.

Also the Fluval Spec is NARROW in width so it doesn't look fun to me as a fish.I bought that one and returned it, too. AND the lid came cracked.

But here's a good video from a guy who did a blackwater in a Fluval Spec 5 g and how you can easily hack the filtration. I imagine the Marineland would be the same because all fiters can be souped up. It was my inspiration for my 20L (plant -wise). This is the set up then he has a 6 month update on it being grown in and how he does maintenance in another video. His fish seems very happy. You can see the partition and how he puts the media and heater in.

This Marineland is TALL versus wide/long side to side which...would not be a real issue for my Bettas because they ALL travel up and down but really prefer going side to side if I'm being honest so I wanted one that was longer side to side instead of taller. But the Marineland looks really nice so ....

Marineland 5 G is 17.2 in. H (with base) x 9.625 W x 9.625 L (side to side). Again, the rear filter compartment is included in those measurements, and takes away about 2 inches from the actual space for your fish, plants, etc. See the photo.

The dimensions on Amazon are WRONG they are the dimensions for the BOX!

Penn Plax 5 g is 11 inches high by 8 3/4 inches wide and 13 ¾ inches long.The 7.5 gallon that I ordered is 11 3 /4”H x 10 1/4 W x 15 3/4 Long

Also I'm weird about noise and do NOT want to hear humming or anything from a filter so I just want the box and hack my own filters. Although the Penn Plax filter you get is fine.

That Marineland filtration is better than the Penn Plax I guess if you're not going to hack the filtration.BUT it's in that little compartment so it's challenging to mess with.

There's a very good review on the Marineland on Amazon you can read by a customer giving alot of detail. IT's where I learned about the actual size but I could see it was tall instead of long like I wanted.

THIS Hygger one is very cool looking too, but the background is undetachable, you only get 6 actual gallons of swimming box, and the 19 inches long was just too long for me so I passed it by.

Not to confuse you or anything LOL.

Enjoy whichever one you chose! They're all nice but of course bigger is always better for fish. Fish aren't interested in style LOL. Even Bettas love swimming as far as possible! And that means side to side like they're traveling to a destination. I always feel guilty seeing my juvenile in the 20 long look disappointed when he has to make a turn at the end of the tank! :arghh:

I will admit it may be slightly challenging to cycle a new tank for just one Betta because his BIO will be small but I had media and didn't have much of an issue, myself. I would suggest the fish-less ammonia method to get your new tank cycled the quickest and most efficiently. You can actually start TODAY in a BUCKET using media from your existing fish tank while you're deciding so you'll have a jump on things...using ammonia or fish food.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  18. CindyVBPets

CindyVBPetsValued MemberMember

IF you're interested in bigger (seems you indicated that) you don't really need a "kit". Half the time IMO the light isn't enough or the filter isn't to my liking or something. Just get the tank and full hood and throw an Aqua Clear on the back (HOB filter) - the quietest IMO and the flow is adjustable you don't need to do baffles etc. OR a sponge filter is the BEST IMO because the fish doesn't have to hear HUMMING and VIBRATION because the air pump is external.

I also had a canister but too nervous to use it since I'm in a second floor condo and already flooded out my BFF downstairs last year! (not fish related LOL)

Here's a 20 L and my juvie. The tank is only a couple months old.

He's ALL OVER the place all day long enjoying it.

OH and if you're interested and have room, i LOVE this heater I finally ended up with. Many others overheated or had limitations that didn't work for me - even the Fluval E series.

I only need one in the 20L, the smaller tank is fine room temp because I live in FL and don't keep my condo cold. So it's a constant 78 - 80 but I have an emergency one avail. I also have a 10 gallon tank that rarely needs the heater activated.Despite what people claim, the lights DO heat up the tank a bit.

I put a florescent plant light on the 20L instead of the new popular LEDs that's why its a little pink. I might have to replace the Penn Plax light....we'll see.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

I have the marineland 5 gallon portrait kit, the filteration lacks a bit, but I had goldfish in it, lol so I imagine a betta would be fine. You can easily put shrimps with it if you want, if he eats them it's just live food for him. Honestly, if you like the way the tank looks(it is classy looking) go for it.

20. Deku-Cory

Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

Agreed. Kits make things easier, but they often aren’t worth the money and the products aren’t as good, and they usually come with stuff you don’t need. Sometime I’d like to sit down and compose a small aquarium shopping list with links to different products. Only problem is that I’ve never really owned a small aquarium, so I don’t have experience with what the best products are.