Best Aquarium Advances In The Past Years?

1. Y

Yobi New Member Member

I have just gotten into the fishkeeping hobby after a 20 year break. When doing the research the technology seems to have advanced along with the times from Wi-Fi led reef lighting with spectrum control, filter media, and just best practices in general.
    What are the biggest aquarium advances made in the last 5 years? 10 years? Is there any area of the hobby that is lagging behind the times?

2. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

Well what are you looking into for your aquarium.

3. OP
    OP
    Y

Yobi New Member Member

Its a general opinion question, not seeking advice. What do you feel are the biggest advancements?

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

In my opinion, knowledge about aquarium chemistry has really improved, along with constantly advancing technology.
    Knowledge about the needs of plants and the huge increase in the number of different species available has also grown.

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello! (and welcome back lol)

Agree about chemistry as well as generally improving the ease of husbandry/maintenance (technology, new "inventions", etc). Definitely test kits and DIY lol (many more options for someone on a budget)

As for lagging, the thing I really wish to die is the 1in per gallon rule. Oh, and fish just need water and a bowl to survive+nitrogen cycle. Also, companies marketing the wrong size tank to make a buck

6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with @-Mak- all of the knowledge about tank chemistries is a huge change. It is much more advanced than it was when I kept fish as a kid. It is definitely more work than it used to be, but the success rate is so much higher.

Also, I am sure they had these back 20 years ago, but we never had anything so fancy. The Python water changer has literally changed my life with tank cleaning. I would put it as the #1 piece of equipment to invest in. Water changes in my 30 gallon tank, can be accomplished in about 15-20 minutes. Without any back pain. Soooo nice.

7. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Youtube, i was an outside kid and never used the internet till i hit 20 you can see stuff on there like product reviews and any of the kit you want to see in action on a set up and all the diy tips. I like the new fluval fx6 as its a huge filter without the pain of priming. Auto prime, auto air purge just place the pipes in plug it in and boom your off. Thats all i have for input hear as I'm only 26 and only had tanks a few years, been sucked in over the past 2 years its my only thing i take seriously lol welcome back i think you will have more fun and success now rather than then, and probably spend a lot more money.

8. OP
    OP
    Y

Yobi New Member Member

I agree with this completely. And the technology was just stolen from water beds changers, so not even that knew or advanced, just repurposed!

9. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

In my 27 years of fish-keeping, the biggest technological advances have been in filtration. When I first started out, and for the next 24 years, I used hang on the back filters. Basically just a sponge (mechanical filtration, later with carbon inserted inside) with some form of bio-wheel or other bio-cartridge to hold the beneficial bacteria. You were aware that the bb was in the filter case housing, on your bio-wheel or bio- cartridge and used your mechanical materials strictly for its ability to trap waste, food, and particulates.
    I have Fluvel canisters now, but for the first year that I had them I didn't trust all their "bells and whistles." It took me awhile to appreciate the advancements in technology that they offered. My husband bought them for me, otherwise I would still be using my trusty Marine-land Emperor work-horses. I am glad he forced me to modernize.
    The Fluvel's (and many modern canister filters) still offer the basic mechanical filtration. But, the biggest advancement has been the various complex bio-logical media (maximizing surface area in which the beneficial bacteria can populate) and chemical medias( depending on your particular need) to choose from.

10. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

@Yobi if your dropping cash on a canister filter go fluval. I had sun sun and fluval but fluval is just the best quality through and through from there plastics to there moving parts. The best, i also have a £12 no name HOB thats been pumping saltwater for 7 months and its great at polishing my water and growing my macro algae. 2828f3b5e9651c164c561b82698eba9e.jpg 28e552df3207e44450ca45bd458e3e56.jpg

Just an example that really cheap stuff too is worth a gamble from time to time.