Best And Cheapest Light For Growing Dwarf Hairgrass In 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by FreshestFreshwater, Apr 14, 2018.

1. FreshestFreshwater

FreshestFreshwater Valued Member Member

Hi guys! I’m starting up a new 10 gallon tank! YAY! But I don’t know what light to buy for my tank. I’m planning on having a dwarf hairgrass carpet in my tank with no CO2. However I will be using osmocote+ root tabs and API Co2 booster. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe beamswork or nicrew? (Dwarf hairgrass will be the hardest plant in this tank) Budget is $35.

Edit: I am also using Eco-complete for substrate

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    FreshestFreshwater

Thanks for the suggestion! But I also don’t want to overkill on the light considering that I’m not using CO2 or growing very demanding plants

4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

I have 4 Finnex Planted+'s, as well as some Nicrew lights (test at 30+ PAR at over a foot of depth!) which are really good lights and cheap too. And some Fluval 2's and 3.0's. And one Ray 2. With a 10 gal. since the PAR will be a bit more intense, even with a 10 gal. you'll likely need root tabs as well. Aquarium Co-Op has some good root tabs...and they're cheap too! Nicrew also has over 7,000+K which is great as well. But honestly...since it's a 10 gal. with soon to have hairgrass...hmm......yeah I'm with DutchAquarium on this one: Get the Finnex Planted+ FYI, it's intensely bright, and it's PAR's about 90+ on a 10 gal (I think, but not 100% sure of the air measurements compared to the immersed in water mreasurements on a 10 gal...

5. OP
    OP
    FreshestFreshwater

But won’t I have a massive algae explosion?? I’m not injecting any Co2 but I am using Co2 booster and Osmocote root tabs

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Algae in it's intial stages IS actually GOOD sign, as it denotes that your tank is "alive" and processing nitrogen effectively. As that's actually more of a benchmark indication, however as you likely are aware of, it can get notoriously out of control quite rapidly. The primary red alert and percursor of TOO much algae, will demonstrate an imbalance within the tank, where it's an over abundance of light, even too much added ferts. And even an insufficient amount of ferts. In a planted tank, through much time, frustrating trial and error, and ups and down, is to discover the ecological "balance". And that usually occurs after 6 months to a year with your "seasoned" tank. Anything prior to that with the appropriate preparations are exactly that: preparations. CO2 booster is essentially an algaecide. Read up about it if you wish to sir. Root tabs are always good. I use API, Easy Green and Flourish.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

CO2 booster doesn't work the same as injected CO2, so I wouldn't even bother.

Root tabs likely won't be good enough. I'd use a fertilized substrate.

DHG likely won't grow very well for you without high light and injected CO2, but you may be able to keep it alive with medium light and a good fertilized substrate.

DIY lighting may be the way to go - you can get a light from a hardware store that'll be sufficient.

8. TinyWhoop

TinyWhoop New Member Member

Hi All,

I am almost at the same situation as Freshest Freshwater. Low tech 10g with newly planted DHG.
    I don't wanna hijack the thread so try to keep my questions minimal within the topic and hopefully the answers are useful to Freshest too.

The link to Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Dutchaquaium posted, shows the price comes with a pair of LED lights? do we need that much for a 10g?

I am looking into DIY CO2 and lighting too. looks like they are easy and cheap to build.
    Freshest. do you mind keep posting your progress here, please let us know about your findings and results.

Thanks

9. OP
    OP
    FreshestFreshwater

Thanks for everybody’s responses! But I’m actually relatively experienced with planted tanks already. Sorry if I was unclear but I was planning on using eco-complete for my dwarf hairgrass meanwhile using osmocote root tabs. I was only going to use Co2 booster until my DIY Co2 kit comes in. I was also planning on liquid dosing with Easy Green (or maybe EI).

However I’ve came to the decision of using LED floodlights (10-20W) with as close to 6500K as I can get.

Btw I open to keeping you guys updated :)

10. OP
    OP
    FreshestFreshwater

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

DIY Co2 may not be enough either, but hopefully it'll work out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice