Best All Round Anti Bacterial Meds?

PeachesPanTao

Reaction score
I'm treating my 75 gallon freshwater for what I suspect is some kind of bacterial fin rot. My german ram which I purchased a couple weeks ago, has developed a wide whitish patch on the side of its body that seems to be advancing. I thought at first it might have been due to physical damage from being netted at the store, or perhaps by a macro shrimp I have since re homed. Yesterday the white patch was starting to bleed. I've broken down and finally set up a 5 gal quarantine which I'm going to move the ram into. Assuming what I'm dealing with is bacterial, are there any good all round anti bacterial drugs I can use? I'm planing to try I've also tried Spectogram in the past, when my set up was still a 20 gallon and my tetras and late molly were having issues. I'm looking for a general cure that might help in my larger 75 gallon, and maybe my ram in quarantine. Lately, I've been using aquarium salt and paraguard in my main 75 gal.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Could you provide some pictures? Did you check your recent water parameters? Having white patches isnt fin rot but rather fungal of sort. I would treat for fungal infections instead, not fin rot.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fungal infections are often Saprolegnia (which isn't even a true fungi) and looks like thick white fur.

My fish vets have prescribed enrofloxacin and trimethoprim. You can substitute ciprofloxacin for enrofloxacin and find it and trimethoprim OTC in the US. They're probably the best you can get w/o a prescription.

New Threads