Best algae eaters

Jhawk117

Hi fish folks! What are the top algae eaters that y'all would recommend? I currently have one rainbow shark in my 29G, but he has lately been getting way too aggressive with my other fish in the tank. He's become very territorial of the bottom section and will chase any fish out that he thinks doesn't belong there. My fish now live in fear of him. I should have removed him a while ago, but I've liked him because I've never had a rainbow shark before, and he is my longest living tank mate since I got my bigger 29G last summer. Also, he is very active fish. He is constantly going around cleaning up all the algae. He has gotten quite massive! Now, though, I can't really tolerate his behavior anymore. It's not like I can put him in time out when he chases my poor fish very aggressively?

What kind of algae eaters out there are more community tank friendly? I am thinking about getting a few cory catfish!

AggressiveAquatics

Corys really don’t eat algae. If you remove the rainbow shark (which should be done soon) the. You could do a Chinese algae eater or some snails. What other fish are in your tank?

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

you can rehome the shark, or give him his own tank, but I assume you don't want to do that because of space, or money, likely a bit of both.

I will recoment a pleco as a good comunity fish, idk how he would do with the shark so... I love the snowball and dwarf snowball, if mony is not a issue zebras are gorgeous. bristlenose, and more, just make soure of the species, and how big they get!

siamese algae eaters are a cute little cleen up crue. you can get a chinese algey eater, but they only eat algae as babies then they get big, and you may notice fish disappearing from the tank!

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

Yeah, I have actually had SAEs in the past and have noticed that stopped being interested in eating algae once they're bigger! That's why I wanted to get a rainbow shark, this dude hasn't stopped!

So you would not recommend corys?

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

not realy, i personally dont have much expense with them, but what i have is mediocre at best, i personally did not like them much, they were just them, plus they dont realy eat algae its like they nibble on it now and them.
you could try snails. Mysteries are easy to gender and get rather big, and so there feeler thins are cute! nairite are supper colorful but they poop a TON. I got a nerite for a algae problem, no problem now! and never had any angry trouble with a mystery!

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Cory cats are awesome, but (like AgressiveAquatics said) they won't help with algae.

I think it is pretty hard to go wrong with amano shrimp. They eat most kinds of algae (when they're hungry). I think the only downside is you need quite a few to really make an impact (like 2 or 3 for every 10 gallons or so).

Also, nerites do a great job eating algae. Sometimes their little eggs can be unsightly, but otherwise they are very good.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
heidi80
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Algae eater a good idea?
Replies
Views
Megaanemp