Best algae eaters for brown algae?

RickyRicardo1838

Hello, well I've had a brown algae problem for a while now in my 150 gallon planted tank and I've tried everything and the algae has definitely gone down but it's still there, especially on the plants and rocks/driftwood and it's too difficult for me to clean all that. So I'm looking for suggestions on good algae eaters that will eat the brown algae, I've heard of nerite snails but I have clown loaches in there which I've heard will eat them. I also have angelfish, electric blue acara, blood parrots and a gold severum, so I unfortuanlty can't keep shrimp or otocinclus. I'm considering getting rid of the clown loaches to be able to keep snails in the tank, but I know the other cichlids could also pose a threat to snails. Anything that I can keep in there that will be a good algae eater?

Chanyi

What kind of brown algae? I would think fully grown Siamese algae eaters could possibly work, they are aggressive and large enough I would think....

That doesn't solve the underlying cause of the algae however, so you can try this too:

Reduce light intensity if possible.

Reduce photoperiod to 5 hours per day max (until algae has subsided, then slowly increase back up to 8 hours per day over a few weeks).

Ensure you are providing adequate nutrients for the plants (unhealthy plants promote algae).

Dose Flourish Excel or equivalent Met14 at the “after water change” rate on the Excel bottle once per day.

Manually remove all algae you can.

Manually remove excess organics in the tank by gravel vacuuming and cleaning filter media in old tank water every water change.

Manually remove any decaying or dead plant matter.

Consider spot treating badly affected areas or dipping plants / hardscape in a Flourish Excel, Met14 or H2O2 + water solution.

If using CO2, ensure CO2 is dropping the pH of the tank water a full 1.0 – 1.2. (Measure the pH of tank water with no CO2 dissolved in it, and then measure again 2-3 hours after CO2 has been running. Ensure the drop in pH is a full 1.0-1.2. If the drop is not there yet, slowly up CO2 over a few weeks until at least a 1.0 drop is achieved, and watch fish / livestock carefully. Adjust CO2 down if you notice fish gasping at the surface And consider running an airstone at night when pushing a 1.2 or greater drop).

RickyRicardo1838

What kind of brown algae? I would think fully grown Siamese algae eaters could possibly work, they are aggressive and large enough I would think....

That doesn't solve the underlying cause of the algae however, so you can try this too:

Reduce light intensity if possible.

Reduce photoperiod to 5 hours per day max (until algae has subsided, then slowly increase back up to 8 hours per day over a few weeks).

Ensure you are providing adequate nutrients for the plants (unhealthy plants promote algae).

Dose Flourish Excel or equivalent Met14 at the “after water change” rate on the Excel bottle once per day.

Manually remove all algae you can.

Manually remove excess organics in the tank by gravel vacuuming and cleaning filter media in old tank water every water change.

Manually remove any decaying or dead plant matter.

Consider spot treating badly affected areas or dipping plants / hardscape in a Flourish Excel, Met14 or H2O2 + water solution.

If using CO2, ensure CO2 is dropping the pH of the tank water a full 1.0 – 1.2. (Measure the pH of tank water with no CO2 dissolved in it, and then measure again 2-3 hours after CO2 has been running. Ensure the drop in pH is a full 1.0-1.2. If the drop is not there yet, slowly up CO2 over a few weeks until at least a 1.0 drop is achieved, and watch fish / livestock carefully. Adjust CO2 down if you notice fish gasping at the surface And consider running an airstone at night when pushing a 1.2 or greater drop).
Thanks for the long reply! I'm not sure what kind of algae it is but I would think diatoms.
20200120_094939.jpg
20200120_094955.jpg

ShastaDaisy

I’m in the process of dealing with this right now. I have a few nerites in there doing a fantastic job. I was not sure if I’d have to trim the plants, but they’re all green again!
What about a bristlnose pleco?
I didn’t know that about clown loaches....

mattgirl

I would go with a group of siamese algae eaters. I love BN plecos but if all of them are like my Elbert they won't help much as they age. Your tank is big enough to support several SAE. Nerites are often recommended but not a good choice if you have fish that would enjoy them as a tasty snack.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • danielsnod12
  • Algae
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • Samhoffman
  • Algae