Best Algae Eater?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by seth rodgers, Apr 11, 2018.

1. seth rodgers

seth rodgers Valued Member Member

Hey guys,
    I have a pond in my backyard that's about 215 gallons. I recently restored it and got the filtration system working so now its time to add fish. It is in direct sunlight and has algae almost all the time on the walls. I need a fish that can control the algae that is a hardy fish. Any suggestions other than pleco? I will probably get a pleco but other suggestions of better or equal fish would be awesome.
    Thanks

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

could you tell us the type of algae you have since there are many types out their. As for the pleco, in general, it is a misconception that they eat algae. Their are some species out their, but i'm guessing your talking about the common plecostomus which tends to avoid algae. Certain shrimp species if legal in your state will eat algae along with Flag Fish a type of kilifish prove to be very good algae eaters.

3. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Im not sure what kind of algae... It sticks to the side and is a bright green. I dont know if that helps but the fish i select has to be hardy. Are the flag fish and shrimp hardy?

4. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Also, I have two bluegill I will be transferring in

5. D

flag fish like a minimum temperature of 67 degrees. If your pond freezes in the winter, you will need to take them out. usually lfs will take fish in if you offer them up in order to have a place to put them in the winter.

6. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

I live in florida so it stays at like 80 the whole winter.

7. D

The American Flag Fish is native to Florida found in the Peninsular Florida north to St. Johns and Ochlockonee River drainages.

8. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Okay thanks guys! what about snails?

9. D

Many people add snails, and they work but i don't know florida laws on snails since most are probably illegal. Also, know that you probably will never loose those snails since they do breed very fast for certain species.

10. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

We are allowed to have snails here and i can buy them online too

11. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

Get nerite snails. they are the best ones to eat algae :)

12. D

nerites are the best to eat algae in the aquarium, i don't know how they would fare in a pond.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice