Best algae eater?

1. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I want to know what you guys think is the best algae eater.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I have always liked my Bristle nose pleco! But a lot of people are against getting fish as an algae cleaner. Maybe get some snails?

3. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I have NO recent experience with anything but Bristlenose Plecos. They have been doing a great job, even took some black algae off my Anubias Petit. The Ramshorn snails I have are young yet (hitchhikers on plants I bought). Too small to do much.

4. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Depends on the algae, but nerite snails are probably the best overall algae eater.
    If you want a fish, otoclinus is probably the best, but needs to be in groups of 5.
    Shrimp would be the amano shrimp.

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

None of them eat every kind of algae, and the common thread and beard type algae is only really eaten by mollies, not by any catfish or pleco. I'm not certain what all various snails and shrimp eat, I'll leave that to someone else. I've seen this argued before and otos and amano shrimp are usually rated toward the top.

6. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405472966.263665.jpg
    Thanks. This is the algae that's growing on my glass. What fish would you recommend or snails to get rid of it?

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't recommend any fish, I would recommend an algae scraper, and to run your lights about an hour less. Otos do eat that kind of algae.

8. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks. There's some algae growing on plants too. Should I just get some snails?

9. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I recommend a razor blade and reduced lights, or just a new dish sponge with soft scrub side.
    Snail will work for that but as stated by fried_bettas, they wont eat thread/beard algae and to expand, Mollies wont eat enough of it to control it.

10. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks, I'll get an algae scraper

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I do like bristlenose plecos the best. They will even eat diatoms.

12. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Not saying you should get one, though. They do need to be fed greens.

14. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah I used to have a rubber lip pleco. I used to feed him veggies also such as cucumber or zucchini slices

15. Mattfinn Member Member

From my experience a BN pleco is the best over all cleaner of an aquarium and algae. I recently went through diatoms on pretty much everything in the tank and was so tempted to get a BN to help me out but I have waited it out, put my light on a timer so they're only on for 8 hours a day with 3 hour break and have done a regular vac in my dead spots and scrub of my glass.

Feeling fishy

16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Are rubber lips just female bristlenoses or no?

17. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I can't tell if any of my bristlenose eat any algae or not, they certainly don't eat it off the front glass.

18. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Are they old?

19. Mattfinn Member Member

I've had them in previous aquariums and the one I had ate diatoms. He was all over the tank

Feeling fishy

20. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Various ages now between a year or two, but they didn't pay much attention to the glass when they were itty bitty. Oh I see them on it from time to time, but not long enough to clean it off. They seem to spend most of their time hanging on driftwood.