Best Algae Browsers??

1. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I have been researching but can't decide on all the info.
    Anyone out there have a favorite shrimp and snail for browsing on algae??

I think ramshorn snail are algae feeders??
    Which shrimp are the best??...the research gives different answers on different sites.

Would like some answers from experienced fish keepers.

2. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Ted,

I have found Malaysian Trumpet Snails to be very effective algae eaters. Cherry shrimp do a great job on algae as well, but make sure you don't have any fish that will eat them ;)

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

my best browsers have been bristlenose plecs and ottos...my snails seem to spend more time on the veggies, and never had shrimps..yet!

4. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I like my Nerite snails. They stay small and there eggs don't reproduce unless they are in brackish water, which means you don't have to worry about them overpopulating. I have ottos, 12 plecos, and two different kinds of snails. They all do a great at cleaning the algae.

5. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

If you are also looking for fish, Siamese Algae eaters do a great job as well.

6. Toddnbecka Member Member

From what I've seen a handful of shrimp are useless for cleaning algae. It simply grows faster than they can/will eat it unless you have a tankful of them. Nerite snails have a better rep as cleaners.

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I've heard great things about olive nerite snails. My choice of algae eating fish is the otocinclus. :)