Best 60 gallon Community Fish?

1. c

ccraw024 New Member Member

Hello! I just switched to a 60 gallon tank 2 days ago and transplanted my old fish into it:
    1 red tail shark
    [​IMG]
    1 nerite snail
    1 bleeding heart
    2 white skirt tetras
    2 candy cane tetras

I added StartSmart yesterday and I already have a low Nitrite reading, so I suspect my tank will be cycles by the end of the week.

I have already been told I should even out my tetra population and get atleast 6 of each species, so I plan on doing that. Once I have done that in a few weeks, does anyone have any suggestions about what is the best community freshwater fishes? I would like fish that are compatible with my red tail shark because he can be quite the bully.

[​IMG]

2. N

NormalFishkeeper New Member Member

Congrats on your new tank! I think that you should test ammonia- when using normal test strips, ammonia is a blind spot. chances are, you have a high level of ammonia. Never trust starting products! cycle your tank for a few days.
    Fish for a tank
    Livebearers
    Dwarf cichlids
    Arowanas (No Just kidding)

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I would take the rts out. If you want to add more tetra's, so they have bigger groups. I don't think you are temp compatible.

4. OP
    OP
    c

ccraw024 New Member Member

My ammonia is .5-1 right now, but it has already started being converted to nitrite so I expect my ammonia to be down by the end of the week with a PWC --> I actually think StartSmart has a lot to do with my tank already beginning cycling. In my old tank it took almost 2 months just to even get a nitrite reading without the StartSmart, and now after the first 24 hours I already have nitrite.

5. cnstowers

cnstowers Valued Member Member

My cherry barbs are very friendly and sizable enough to not really get bullied so there's one for you
    I had gold barbs but one of them got very big and ate a neon tetra and killed one of my gourami so I can't really recommend those as peaceful community anymore
    I don't know cherry barb's compatibility with red tail sharks but it's something to look into

6. Sarah73

Gold barbs are peaceful as long as you have 6 or more. I have 17 in my 60gal community and they are very happy. How many gold barbs did you have? They are a great community tank fish.

7. cnstowers

cnstowers Valued Member Member

I had 6
    They all stayed together by a cave and were very territorial, adding more wasn't an option seeing as how big they already were and I only had a 37 gallon

8. Sarah73

Well I have a bigger tank, so that really helps. Maybe you are over stocked or something if they are very territorial.