Best 60 gallon Community Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ccraw024, Jul 3, 2016.

1. c

ccraw024 New Member Member

Hello! I just switched to a 60 gallon tank 2 days ago and transplanted my old fish into it:
    1 red tail shark
    [​IMG]
    1 nerite snail
    1 bleeding heart
    2 white skirt tetras
    2 candy cane tetras

I added StartSmart yesterday and I already have a low Nitrite reading, so I suspect my tank will be cycles by the end of the week.

I have already been told I should even out my tetra population and get atleast 6 of each species, so I plan on doing that. Once I have done that in a few weeks, does anyone have any suggestions about what is the best community freshwater fishes? I would like fish that are compatible with my red tail shark because he can be quite the bully.

[​IMG]

2. N

NormalFishkeeper New Member Member

Congrats on your new tank! I think that you should test ammonia- when using normal test strips, ammonia is a blind spot. chances are, you have a high level of ammonia. Never trust starting products! cycle your tank for a few days.
    Fish for a tank
    Livebearers
    Dwarf cichlids
    Arowanas (No Just kidding)

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I would take the rts out. If you want to add more tetra's, so they have bigger groups. I don't think you are temp compatible.

4. OP
    OP
    c

ccraw024 New Member Member

My ammonia is .5-1 right now, but it has already started being converted to nitrite so I expect my ammonia to be down by the end of the week with a PWC --> I actually think StartSmart has a lot to do with my tank already beginning cycling. In my old tank it took almost 2 months just to even get a nitrite reading without the StartSmart, and now after the first 24 hours I already have nitrite.

5. cnstowers

cnstowers Valued Member Member

My cherry barbs are very friendly and sizable enough to not really get bullied so there's one for you
    I had gold barbs but one of them got very big and ate a neon tetra and killed one of my gourami so I can't really recommend those as peaceful community anymore
    I don't know cherry barb's compatibility with red tail sharks but it's something to look into

6. Sarah73

Gold barbs are peaceful as long as you have 6 or more. I have 17 in my 60gal community and they are very happy. How many gold barbs did you have? They are a great community tank fish.

7. cnstowers

cnstowers Valued Member Member

I had 6
    They all stayed together by a cave and were very territorial, adding more wasn't an option seeing as how big they already were and I only had a 37 gallon

8. Sarah73

Well I have a bigger tank, so that really helps. Maybe you are over stocked or something if they are very territorial.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice