Best 55 gallon filter

Boot2

Hello,
I was reading through some of the older posts and noticed quite a few stated AquaClear 70 was the best filter for a 55gallon Fresh Water Tank.
Is this still true? Also, is it a quite filter? (The one that came with the 55gallon is a Tetra Whisper 60, and nothing about it is a "whisper")

I have a 10" Pleco, a Twig Catfish and 12 small neon tetras in the tank if this helps any?

Thank you,
Boots

A201

Aquaclear HOB's are very good filters but are notorious for being noisy.
I run two AC 110's & can verify that.
I also run two Marineland Emperor 400's, which are very quiet & also provide great filtration. Marineland updated the 400's to the new Emperor 450.
I don't own any Tidals, but reviews about filtration are very good. It's been about 50/50 regarding unacceptable noise.
Any of the listed filters would do fine for a 55 gal.

Upvote 0

Fishowner24

Hello,
I was reading through some of the older posts and noticed quite a few stated AquaClear 70 was the best filter for a 55gallon Fresh Water Tank.
Is this still true? Also, is it a quite filter? (The one that came with the 55gallon is a Tetra Whisper 60, and nothing about it is a "whisper")

I have a 10" Pleco, a Twig Catfish and 12 small neon tetras in the tank if this helps any?

Thank you,
Boots
I would just use sponge filters like 2 or 3 but that is just me.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I actually have a Marineland 400 and a Aquaclear 70 on my 55 gallon and have no problems with either. The only issue with the AC70 is the outflow is really short so if the water gets low it splashes.

Upvote 0

HupGuppHup

I have a couple of Aqua Clears, both running in bedrooms. They run fairly quiet so long as you set them up so the water output is a nice clean stream. They pour smooth and quiet so long as you don't overstuffed the media box. If there's media sticking up out of the box, especially near the front, the water stream becomes uneven and splashy. They do get a little noisy when the water level gets low like any HOB, but that's easily managed with a top-up when necessary.

Upvote 0

RayClem

OMHO, an Aquaclear 70 filter is suitable for a 55 gallon tank only if it is lightly stocked. For a heavily stocked tank, I would suggest an AC 70 plus a second filter or an AC 110. I have an AC 70 in a 40 gallon breeder tank, but I consider it to be too small for a 55 gal.

If you go with an AC 70, there are many options for the second filter. It could be a canister filter. It could be a second AC 70 or another type of HOB filter like the Marineland mentioned by awilkinson871. It could also be a sponge filter driven by an air pump. Although they are not as popular as they once were, undergravel filters also work.

My 55 gal tank is heavily stocked due to rapidly breeding platies. I have an undergravel filter, an Aquaclear 110 and an Aqueon 75 on the tank. I use sponge prefilters on the HOB filters, so the flow rates are only about half the rated volume.

Upvote 0

RonP

I replaced my 2 AC filters with 2 Tidal 75s in my 55g tank about 7 months ago.
Very quiet, I only hear the water returning. I like the auto start feature, and so far have had no need to clean the impellers (,,self cleaning,).

Upvote 0

Islandvic

I have Aquaclears and can recommend them.

My suggestion if you get one, dont use the included bag of carbon and stack a 2nd foam block on top of the first one. If you add a sponge pre-filter on the intake (I use ATI Filter-Max III's) you will have excellent mechanical and biological filtration.

Also consider adding a sponge filter to the other side of tank like others suggested.

Upvote 0

ForceTen

I would go with the 110 and the 70 personally. I have the 70 and the 50 in my 40 gallon and its just right.
Noisy AC filters are usually very easy to quiet down. They need to be kept clean (the moving parts) and the shaft.
When I remove a filter to clean it I also make sure the shaft is pushed all the way in. This is in my opinion the root cause for noise in AC filters.
Once clean and verified the shaft is fully inserted there is no noise. Unless the water gets low in the tank. Its simple but most people have no idea the shaft can come up or even get loose. Once they find this out, the complaints about noise go away.

Upvote 0

ferg42995

I have a Tidal and a sponge in my 44G. It is extremely quiet and restarts without issue during our many power outages.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I have a 65 gallon tank that is moderately planted and heavily stocked. I have an AQ70 and a large sponge filter and it's working fine. I get some debris piled up in a few places, but it doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0

RayClem

I have a 65 gallon tank that is moderately planted and heavily stocked. I have an AQ70 and a large sponge filter and it's working fine. I get some debris piled up in a few places, but it doesn't bother me.

If you like the Aquaclear 70, save up to purchase an AC 110. I suspect you will like it even better than your AC 70 in a 65 gallon tank. The additional water flow of the AC 110 will clean up some of the debris the AC 70 leaves behind.

Upvote 0

Boot2

Thank you everyone. Great tips.

Upvote 0

Boot2

If you like the Aquaclear 70, save up to purchase an AC 110. I suspect you will like it even better than your AC 70 in a 65 gallon tank. The additional water flow of the AC 110 will clean up some of the debris the AC 70 leaves behind.

I ordered the AC 110, but there was no way to control the water flow. No adjustments whatsoever so I had to return. Not sure if this is the same for everyone, or if this was assembled with the incorrect parts?

Upvote 0

Dunk2

I ordered the AC 110, but there was no way to control the water flow. No adjustments whatsoever so I had to return. Not sure if this is the same for everyone, or if this was assembled with the incorrect parts?

The red arrow is pointing to the flow control on the AquaClears. Moves left to right to adjust flow.
B2FE3E81-1F77-44C9-8DC5-06999062768D.jpeg

Upvote 0

Boot2

Hi. Yes, but on the one I recieved it was a fixed piece of plastic, and inside the tubing was nothing. That piece of plastic you show sticking up was fixed, and nothing internally to adjust flow. The seller on Amazon did not have an answer for me and I was not comfortable having them send me another and repeat the problem.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Hi. Yes, but on the one I recieved it was a fixed piece of plastic, and inside the tubing was nothing. That piece of plastic you show sticking up was fixed, and nothing internally to adjust flow. The seller on Amazon did not have an answer for me and I was not comfortable having them send me another and repeat the problem.

I don’t think AquaClear makes 2 different versions of this filter? Not sure what you were looking for internally. . . The flow control sticking up just moves left to right.

Upvote 0

Boot2

Ahhhhhh. I understand now. The directions showed "twisting" that top part and that completely threw me. Thank you so much for taking the time to send a video. You're the best! Such a great site with so many helpful people.

Upvote 0

RayClem

I have never felt a need to adjust the flow on my AC110. However, I do use a sponge prefilter on the intake. That way the sponge prefilter traps most of the larger debris and the sponge inside the filter itself stays clean longer. I do not like having to dismantle the filter box any more often than necessary. The prefilter gets cleaned every week or two .

By the way, I have the AC110 on a 55 gallon tank which is smaller than the tank you have. With the prefilter sponge, the flow is not excessive, at least not in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom