Best 5 gallon

Nanettefox4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm looking to get a 5 gl tank with quiet filter and led lights that don't dim over time. Any suggestions?

Addictedtobettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Its not the cheapest, but I love the 5 gallon Fluval. The filter is silent, the flow is changeable, the filter bio media is good and the glass is a great 3 sided view.

My only complaint is that its a brighter led light than my betta likes, but the plants love, and... the hole in the lid that I had to put mesh on because I had a jumper who looked at it as a challenge.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You likely won't be able to find all three in one kit unless you plan to spend over 100$ on something like the Fluval Spec. It is quite a nice aquarium though. I believe petsmart has a cheaper topfin brand one but I have no idea on the noise level or life of the leds.

Basically any generic 5 gallon tank should be fine.

The Aqua Clear 20 hang on back filter is pretty quiet, thought honestly most filters of that style are. There will obviously be some sound with the water coming out of it but they aren't by any means loud.

As for lights that can be a whole other can of worms depending on what you want out of them. I assume you want the ones for a hooded aquarium? In that case there are several hoods you can buy with them installed, I've seen decent reviews of the tetra and marineland ones. If you're looking for something for an open or glass-top then honestly just about any light will do. The NICREW on amazon has a great reputation as far as lights go.

Sien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have the top fin 5.5 gallon from petsmart and I like it. Had to put the filter on low flow and put a sponge around the intake, but that is because it's betta tank. Not sure how the lights will hold up because I have not had it too long. Overall tho I am satisfied with it.

peddidle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not a 5 gallon, but I managed to get the Aqueon 7.5 gallon shrimp tank for a great deal by watching for PetCo sales (ended up getting a sale price online with an additional discount for choosing the pick up at store option). I can’t speak to the longevity of the lights as I’ve only had it a couple weeks (still cycling even), but the filter is super quiet.

Nanettefox4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Addictedtobettas said:
Its not the cheapest, but I love the 5 gallon Fluval. The filter is silent, the flow is changeable, the filter bio media is good and the glass is a great 3 sided view.

My only complaint is that its a brighter led light than my betta likes, but the plants love, and... the hole in the lid that I had to put mesh on because I had a jumper who looked at it as a challenge.
I heard the filter is too strong for Bettas and the become exhausted. I don't want that to hapen

Addictedtobettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IMG_9496.jpeg

This is Orion.

The 1st shot is him on day 1.

The 2nd is 3 weeks after I got him.
IMG_9086.jpeg

He's spent the entire time in a 5 gallon fluval spec. It is planted well, it was all silk plants for the first week, but now mostly live. That does help break up the water flow but since the fluval filter has an incredibly low flow option already, it's not needed as much.

I freaked out for the first few days he was in it because he'd rest against the intake vent, I thought perhaps it was too strong, and sucking him in. Until I realized his fins were so unused and so weak, he was actually RESTING, against that vent, because it was gently holding him up when his own fins couldn't.

I've gone through more filter troubles than I care to admit but since I've discovered fluval I don't think I'll try anyone else. I have zero issues with the flow in a properly planted tank - if there is a concern on it you can also adjust the outflow and have it bank off the side or bottom where the fish doesn't hang out.

Every other filter I've ever tried has required some form of batting to slow the flow, which rarely works, and they all have reviews online from people who've found their fish dead or injured irreparably because of the supposed quiet filter that wasn't.

I'm not saying its the magic tank. But for me, and my Bettas, its been great.

Nanettefox4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Orion is GORGEOUS!!! I ordered the Fluval Spec and it should be here Monday so I will begin cycling then. Thanks so much!

Addictedtobettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nanettefox4 said:
Orion is GORGEOUS!!! I ordered the Fluval Spec and it should be here Monday so I will begin cycling then. Thanks so much!

Thank you! I don't think he knows what a looker he is but I do tell him. >.>

I hope you and the betta enjoy the tank. I highly recommend some mesh netting (I bought some on Amazon for about $12, 6'x4' and I'll never run out), it can be stretched just slightly and attached to the lid itself, especially if you find yourself with a betta jumper...

VeiltailKing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My rimless 5 gallon aquarium was very affordable and is quite durable!
C452BC81-FB2E-4810-8A10-FA5ED77A37E3.jpeg
I think Petsmart has the exact same aquarium available for $39.99 right now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom