3. OP
    OP
    RTBS

RTBS Valued Member Member

Penguin 200 is insufficient?

Emperor 280 probably nice too?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would say it is insufficient, but it really depends on the stock. It's plenty for a betta :)

The 280 is okay, though it may not fit on the tank. The AC70 BARELY fits on my 30 hex.

5. OP
    OP
    RTBS

I like the water to filter 10x per hour but in a 35 hex tank it seems to me that 200 GPH would be sufficient especially with the top vent mostly closed... When I had my emperor 280 on this tank my smaller fish got stuck... Idk... Just curious if I were to downsize to a penguin 200 how would it affect a tank of convict cichlids...

6. Jaysee

You asked what was best, not what you could get away with ;)

GPH is not the most important aspect of filtration - volume and quality of media is. Could it work? Sure, but I would definitely use custom media.

The only fish I've ever had get stuck to the filter intake were dead or dying ones. I have 565 gph on my 55 and the 2 day old chanchito fry manage to avoid the intake :;dk

7. OP
    OP
    RTBS

As far as custom media goes you mean to add a piece behind the carbon media?

8. Jaysee

I mean I wouldn't use the cartridges - they have a minimal amount of media.

9. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I agree the AC70. I love my aquaclears. I actually plan on replacing ALL of my filters with aquaclears. Pengiuns are junk, I work at a pet store and have MANY people returning them due to complaints that they stop working quickly. I had one and HATED it. Never wanted to work right. I also have aqueons and I like them because they self start (AC do too usually but as they get older they have a little harder time, but I mean old as in 10+ years as mine is). The big thing I dislike about aqueons is when the pad gets dirty the water actually will come up over the cartridge and not go through it at all. I have the biggest issue with this because I get a lot of algea growing back there.

None of my fish get stuck on my filters unless they are dying as well. I have small tetras and stuff swimming with a fluval FX5 and have no issues.

Although now that I think about it I'd probably go with a canister. Looks much nicer IMO and you don't have to worry about it fitting on the back of the tank.

10. Jaysee

Haha, I converted all my HOBs to ACs, then I systematically swapped them all out for canisters.

I used to run a canister on the 30 hex - I had the spraybar pointed down to make a circular flow in the tank.