Best 2.5 - 5 gallon kits?

1. bettanewbie Member Member

I am thinking about getting a friend a gift for her birthday in a sized tank of 2.5 to 5 gallons. She has a poor betta in a .5 gallon bowl. D: What would be the best to buy her that won't be over 50 dollars?
    If this is in the wrong place, please move it.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I like the marineland corner 5. I don't like the hex 5 though - it's too difficult to maintain.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I have the top fin 5.5. Very nice, but the filter needs a bit of babying at times. I keep my water conditioner on the filter lid so it doesn't buzz too much <.<

If you print out the petco $5 off and the pet supermarket $4 off coupons, you can get it for a nice price :)

Another comparable kit would be the Walmart 5 gallon. Same thing, but with an aquateck filter, which does need to be baffled for that small of a tank.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I have the 2.5 aqueon mini bow. I like it the filter is quiet. I have a female betta in it, I would get th 5 gallon for a male betta tho.

5. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I agree, I have a 2.5 minibow that I used for a small male betta, but ended up getting a larger 5 gallon kit instead. I prefered the minibow over my marineland 5 gallon hex.

6. James95 Well Known Member Member

I like the top fin kits. The 5.5g would be the perfect size for a betta.

You should look into the 5g hexagon kit sold at walmart. Don't forget to pick up a heater with the tank. Most small kits don't include a heater.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

But for less than the price of a mini bow, you could get something twice the size ;)

8. James95 Well Known Member Member

I agree with Akari. The type of acrylic used to make minibow and eclipse tanks scratches very very easily. Even moving the gravel around scratches the tank. A glass tank is a much better option.

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

If you have a PetCo near you, run, don't walk, to the store. They are running clearance on some tanks. Just about two hours ago, I picked up a PetCo brand 2.5 gallon acrylic tank with filter, filter media, LED lighting with three settings on it for $10! And I know this particular item is on clearance nationwide right now. ;)

Also at PetCo, a few weeks ago I got a 5 gallon Marineland Hex tank, normally around $50, for $29! It includes good filtration also AND a compact fluourescent light! Only thing is the tank itself is plastic and will scratch easily.

As of yesterday, PetCo had a $39.99 sale on their Tetra 15 gallon tank kits. But today I saw the sale sign was removed. But who knows, you could sweet-talk the manager into giving you the sale price. This is the best option, IMO, as it's a 15 gallon glass tank.

I hope you find some deals!

10. bettanewbie Member Member

Wow what great suggestions! I am sure now I can really get her a good tank. What heater do you guys suggest?

11. James95 Well Known Member Member

I suggest a small 25 watt heater, either hydor or visi therm brand. Many of the "mini heaters" are a lot less reliable than bigger heaters with quality thermostats.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I have a tetra 2-15 gallon heater, $14 at Walmart. Good little thing and nice and cheap!

13. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

The tetra heater is great, but it is pre-set. During the winter, my tetra heater wasn't keeping the temp at 78 due to my house temperature so I replaced mine with a hydor 25watt and like it much more because I can adjust it and keep my bettas warmer.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

It's definitely better for 10 gallon and less tanks in a house that is kept at a stable temp all year. For larger tanks, I use the tetra 10-30. I liked that one for my 20 long. They're cheap, reliable, but have the pre-set heater downsides lol