Best 2.5 - 5 gallon kits?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by bettanewbie, Mar 19, 2012.

1. bettanewbie

bettanewbieValued MemberMember

I am thinking about getting a friend a gift for her birthday in a sized tank of 2.5 to 5 gallons. She has a poor betta in a .5 gallon bowl. D: What would be the best to buy her that won't be over 50 dollars?
    If this is in the wrong place, please move it.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I like the marineland corner 5. I don't like the hex 5 though - it's too difficult to maintain.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I have the top fin 5.5. Very nice, but the filter needs a bit of babying at times. I keep my water conditioner on the filter lid so it doesn't buzz too much <.<

If you print out the petco $5 off and the pet supermarket $4 off coupons, you can get it for a nice price :)

Another comparable kit would be the Walmart 5 gallon. Same thing, but with an aquateck filter, which does need to be baffled for that small of a tank.

4. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

I have the 2.5 aqueon mini bow. I like it the filter is quiet. I have a female betta in it, I would get th 5 gallon for a male betta tho.

5. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I agree, I have a 2.5 minibow that I used for a small male betta, but ended up getting a larger 5 gallon kit instead. I prefered the minibow over my marineland 5 gallon hex.

6. James95

James95Well Known MemberMember

I like the top fin kits. The 5.5g would be the perfect size for a betta.

You should look into the 5g hexagon kit sold at walmart. Don't forget to pick up a heater with the tank. Most small kits don't include a heater.

7. Akari_32

But for less than the price of a mini bow, you could get something twice the size ;)

8. James95

I agree with Akari. The type of acrylic used to make minibow and eclipse tanks scratches very very easily. Even moving the gravel around scratches the tank. A glass tank is a much better option.

9. Donnerjay

DonnerjayWell Known MemberMember

If you have a PetCo near you, run, don't walk, to the store. They are running clearance on some tanks. Just about two hours ago, I picked up a PetCo brand 2.5 gallon acrylic tank with filter, filter media, LED lighting with three settings on it for $10! And I know this particular item is on clearance nationwide right now. ;)

Also at PetCo, a few weeks ago I got a 5 gallon Marineland Hex tank, normally around $50, for $29! It includes good filtration also AND a compact fluourescent light! Only thing is the tank itself is plastic and will scratch easily.

As of yesterday, PetCo had a $39.99 sale on their Tetra 15 gallon tank kits. But today I saw the sale sign was removed. But who knows, you could sweet-talk the manager into giving you the sale price. This is the best option, IMO, as it's a 15 gallon glass tank.

I hope you find some deals!

10. OP
    OP
    bettanewbie

bettanewbieValued MemberMember

Wow what great suggestions! I am sure now I can really get her a good tank. What heater do you guys suggest?

11. James95

I suggest a small 25 watt heater, either hydor or visi therm brand. Many of the "mini heaters" are a lot less reliable than bigger heaters with quality thermostats.

12. Akari_32

I have a tetra 2-15 gallon heater, $14 at Walmart. Good little thing and nice and cheap!

13. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

The tetra heater is great, but it is pre-set. During the winter, my tetra heater wasn't keeping the temp at 78 due to my house temperature so I replaced mine with a hydor 25watt and like it much more because I can adjust it and keep my bettas warmer.

14. Akari_32

It's definitely better for 10 gallon and less tanks in a house that is kept at a stable temp all year. For larger tanks, I use the tetra 10-30. I liked that one for my 20 long. They're cheap, reliable, but have the pre-set heater downsides lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice