Best 10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Setup?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Ben123456, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Ben123456

Ben123456New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ive had a 10 gallon tank cycling for a couple weeks now. Once the tank has finished cycling I'd like to setup the PERFECT 10 gallon shrimp tank. I decided i probably should start with cherry shrimp since this is my first time keeping them. I'd like to hear some opinions on a 10g setup that would be a shrimp heaven. Also.. Can my big old mystery snail coexist with them? Thanks for all the info!

2. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,493
    Experience:
    4 years
    Hey there! Best shrimp set up I've had is a lot of Java moss and subwassertang. The subwassertang is the carpet, and I have a row of PVC glued together on the back that has Java moss on it. I could get a pic later.
    They can definitely live with a mystery snail, BUT if the mystery snail isn't fed enough it will eat shrimp. Otherwise it won't even eat shrimplets. They need a lot of protein and stop eating once full, so if it's eating, it's hungry

3. Kathryn Crook

Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,205
    Experience:
    3 years
    No disrespect to Rtessy, but Ive never heard of a mystery eating a shrimp. I have heard of them eating live plants if hungry enough. That aside, yes, they can cohabitate. I have the same in my tanks. Just wood, leaves, moss, proper water and food and any tank can be a heaven for shrimp and snails.
    Keep in mind though that mysteries and shrimp do eat the same foods so keeping that balanced is necessary.

4. blue velvet keeper

blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +407
    Experience:
    5 years
    keep nerites, moss of some sort, hiding spots, moss balls, water lettace shrimp paridise

5. blue velvet keeper

blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +407
    Experience:
    5 years
  6. DreaminginBlue

DreaminginBlueValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Agreed, shrimp love cholla wood and moss! They also seem to like alder cones, and leaf litter, like Indian almond leaves.
    Having a glass feeding dish is useful too, since it makes feeding less messy.

7. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,450
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have a range of tanks from 6gal to 58gal for shrimp only and my best of the lot is the 10gal also has a nerit snail.

8. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,493
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'd never heard of it either, but I watched my mystery snail eat a live shrimp. Worst thing I've seen, by the time I knocked him off of it there was only a head left and one little leg, still twitching... :arghh: