Bessie is Sick!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Two days ago I noticed that Bessie was not acting right. Her stomach looked swollen and white. I gave her and Benji, who is on the other side of the divided tank, an 80% water change. I checked the parameters and they were all normal. Bessie and Benji are in a 10 gallon tank, but I dropped the water down to 5 gallons to make it easier to medicate, and started medicating with Triple Sulfa, which I had purchased before I came on this site. Is this medication okay?

The heater is submerged and just above the gravel about an inch horizontally. Both sides have a thermometer and I raised the temperature from 80 degrees to 84 degrees. The tank is still being filtered without charcoal and has a running airstone. Benji is still fine it is only Bessie that is having problems.

I really think that she is constipated, by looking at her, but didn't want to take a chance on it being a bacterial infection. I have been feeding all 4 of my bettas 5 bloodworms in the AM and 5 in the PM. None of my other bettas are constipated and seem to be well. I have been giving them the pea treatment twice a week, but ran out of peas and kept forgetting to buy more so they hadn't had any for a few days.

She is fasting right now as I have not fed her anything for 2 days, except pea treats that she did not eat. I am worried that she will not recover from the constipation, if that is what she has, if she will not eat the pea. Any suggestions about what else I can do? ???

CherryRose

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've only fed peas a couple of times and not recently, I can't rmemeber do they float or sink? If they float, you might try blowing gently on them so they move a bit; I've had bettas who would only eat one kind of food but they would eat anything if it was moving just slightly. Make sure it isn't moving so fast that they can't catch it.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi cherryrose, sorry to hear about Bessie.

When our Betta developed constipation, he was in a flower vase filled with too cold of toxic water, overfed, and had not been introduced to the green pea treat.  When he tried to swim, he could not remain stable; even at the water's surface, he would be on his side.  Is Bessie having trouble with buoyancy?

We've not used tri-sulfa, but it is next on the list of things we're using to rid ours of a bad case of fin rot.  I was somewhat under the impression that it was a stronger med than Jungle Labs, Maracyn, and Maracyn 2.  As for how it may work for you, that would depend on what disorder Bessie has.

Your water parameters are normal, and your feeding habits seem very good, no suggestions for improvements there.   If you are going to medicate, it might not be a bad idea to move Bessie into isolation unless you think B's tankmates need meds, too.  If you plan to medicate Bessie in the same tank, you'll want to remove the charcoal filter.  Though the claim is that charcoal has a six or seven day effectiveness wrt removing meds, it might be better to not chance it messing up the meds.

Out of curiosity, in what way is Bessie not acting right?

Mike

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The peas sink to the bottom. Bessie is simply not interested in eating right now, even when the peas float down directly in front of her.

Bessie is lying at the bottom of the tank. She lays on her side a lot and only swims when absolutely necessary. Right now here head is pointing up at an angle and her tail is on the gravel in the bottom left hand cornor of the tank. She is in kind of a curved position. I am medicating both her and Benji because they both live in the same tank and I am not sure what is wrong with Bessie. Benji still appears to be fine, and is eating well.

I had removed the charcoal from the filter about a month ago.

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Royell is suddenly acting this way too. I noticed his belly was getting fat yesterday and I fed him anyway in the morning, but not nearly as much as he normally get's because I had a bad feeling. Later in the afternoon I noticed his beely was getting a little bit fatter, so I didn't feed him anymore that night. I did try,however, feeding him pea and like Bessie he refused it. I tried giving him some pea this morning because his belly looks even more bloated today then it did yesterday and he still refuses it. Yesterday he was resting quite a bit with Ernie in the back corner on top of one of the plants, which happens to be one of the tallest plants I have in the tank. He wasn't active until last night. This morning he is floating around on the top and not doing much swimming. I think he may be contsipated because I do see that he is trying to poop, but it is very stringy. I did raise the temp in the 5 gallon this morning to 82. It was already at 81.

I had introduced him to peas a few days after I got him because I didn't want to have to have to fast him ifhe ever did get constipated. Now that he is constipated though he won't eat them. I'm hoping that this is constipation and not dropsy or something. The only reason why I think it's constipation is because he is trying to poop and the appearance of the poop is not normal.

I'm sorry for my kind of hijacking this thread, but I thought that since we are both having the same problem that we could maybe kill 2 birds with one stone and both get help with it.
Natalie

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
When my fish was constipated, he ignored the heck out of the peas too. What I finally wound up doing was sticking the piece of pea to the end of a tweezer and attracting his attention with it by wiggling it around for a while above the water. When I was sure he was interested, I touched the surface of the water, unsticking the pea and dropping it right in front of him: he went right for it. Doing this by hand might work too, especially if your fish usually eats from your hand, but mine doesn't so I took the shiny object approach.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Whitney

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry that your Royell is having the same problems as Bessie, Natalie. It is okay that you are using the same post as me. I agree, since their symptoms are the same, we might as well get help at the same time.

I will try the shiney tweezer thing. Maybe it will work with Bessie too. There are two very small pea treats in her container that I put in this morning, so I will use them. She hasn't eaten for 3 days now. I have put her in a plastic 8 cup measuring cup, with nothing on the bottom so I can tell if she poops. It is floating in the tank, so hopefully the temperature will remain the same. I have also put a floating thermometer in her cup so I can watch the temp. Today I will do a 25% water change and medicate again as per instructions. This is her 3rd day of meds.

Thanks for your suggestions.

CherryRose

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry cherryrose, I mistakenly read that you still had the charcoal filter in (was not yet finished with the 1st cup of coffee, yet  :-[).

As for the problem with Bessie and Royell, I don't know, but I do wish you and Natalie the best in curing it.

Mike

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah it definitely is weird that Atlantis is showing the same signs as Bessie and Royell... but I've been underfeeding Atlantis with 4 or 5 worms a day and he is seemingly bloated as well.

Yesterday I did notice that he had a little dung hanging out, I've never, ever noticed any of my past Betta's doing this. I've only had Atlantis for about a month now and haven't introduced him to peas.

He perks up when I go near the tank, but still won't eat. Do Bessie and Royell do that as well?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Royell hasn't been perky since Friday. He is very mopey and pretty much just floating around in place. A little while ago he was in his castle laying on the gravel. Then he came back out after a few minutes to go back to the top for air. I waiting for the temp to reach 82 degrees in the hosp. Tank, so I can put him in there. I don't really have any clean tweezers to do what you had suggested to do. I guess I could always buy a pair, but I don't know that he is going to eat it. He just looks so miserable and it saddens me to see him this way. He's always so happy. Hopefully we'll beable to figure this out and help them fast before it get's too out of hand.

Thank you Mike for the well wishes. Natalie

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Actually the first time I did it used the tip of a steak knife. Just don't drop it!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that is trying to help with this issue. I didn't have a clean tweezer either, Natilie, so I put mine in hot water and boiled it for a minute. Unfortunately, Bessie still won't eat.

When I first put Bessie in the measuring cup thingy, she did perk up and swim a little. Now she is again resting on the bottom rather listlessly. If I put my hand in the water she swims a little, then stops. I am really worried about my poor little Bessie, as I know you are worried about Royell, Natalie, and you are worried about Atlantis, Asinity. Hopefuly we will find some way to help the poor little guys and girl soon.

Not a problem, Mike. I appreciate that you are trying to help.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is also the possibility that these fish may be having a reaction to the meds they are on. Maybe try to remove the meds from the water they are in and see if they perk up. They are basically the same as humans and some of them have allergic or contrary reactions to chemicals where others do not. If this does not perk them up in a few hours they can always go back to being medicatied and it will not have upset the process that much.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How is Bessie doing, CherryRose? Natalie

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The good news is that Bessie is still alive. The bad news is that she does not look well at all. Her stomach is still swollen, her face has white spots on it and her gills go out on the sides of her head. She has not eaten since Thursday or Friday of last week. I am really worried.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry that you all are going through this and the little fish too. I wish there were more I could do but my knowledge does not reach this far.

I REALLY HOPE that they will all be okay.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am very sorry Cherryrose! I will keep you and Bessie in my prayers and thought. Natalie

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I got home from work a little while ago and Bessie is still alive. I am going to put a little salt in the water while I am waiting for the Furon, and see if that helps. She is lying on her side, but her gills are still moving and when I gently move her she swims up for air then goes back down. I will let you know if anything changes.

CherryRose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Phlox is behaving the same way though I think it's just constipation. I will pray for Bessie and Royell. I wonder why all our fish seem to get sick at the same time?

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
My guess is Betta Telepathy, they all know when to get sick to make us all worry at the same time.

That's GOTTA be it. :

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom